Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks till trial

TerryPTTerryP Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Is it as painful DURING trial as I have read? Mine will be for neck. Actually upper back and shoulders, constant spams. I'll have lots of ?????? Please share.

• I have an SCS in my neck for my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. The trial and permanent implant went well for me and I was able to manage both with no more than ice packs, Tylenol and Celebrex.

Sorry I don't have much time to reply right now.

• just Tylenol! I can't even imagine such a world. People were posting how traumatic the placing of the leads are during the trial. This I need to anticipate if common.
  • I had become dependent upon opioids over several years,and the year prior to my trial and implant I detoxed off all opioids. So I didn't want to get those receptors "fired up" again and chose to see if I could manage with only Tylenol, ice and Celebrex. We can do some amazing things when we are motivated by pain and fear. I have two percutaneous leads, so no laminectomy for placement needed.

During the trial the doc used lidocaine to numb up the area that the leads were placed through. I felt pressure, but no pain.

I honestly believe that sometimes we fear the pain so much, that we give it more power than it really has.

• i am happy to read that the trail was success. What are the plans for now and after the trail?
  • Thank you so much. I have spent most of my 2 days off reading these posts. They are very helpful, but I started to freak a little. Not about the trial (I'll deal with that, been thru worse), but the horror stories re: the recoup time after surgery. I cant take weeks off work. I would have to chose the implant or my job. So I just NOW got off the phone when the rep. He said some of these horror stories are the exception, not norm. Then I read your positive response. These last 5 years have made me tough. I started working 1 year ago and just could not have done it with out going back to the pills. Before working a year ago, I weaned myself down to Tylenol from the big boy narcotics I did it over about 6 months. Then just Tylenol, trigger points weekly, tens unit and a heating pad. That was my life, period. A friend got me a job after 5 years of med's and injections. The Job has been great for me. I did have to restart what I consider mild med's, the heating pad and tens during work. Post surgery, I just want to go out to dinner or a movie and enjoy it. Maybe you could give me some tips, like what kind of grabber to buy. I live alone and any "make sure you have..." will be helpful. Now Im going to try and choose the surgery and work after 2 weeks??? Unless I read overwhelmingly that would be a big mistake. THANK YOU for your
    honesty and sanity. I hope the trial goes well.