Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy cost?

kolleammkkolleamm Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
how much? i heard its 20,000 and 100,000? i could be wrong

• It depends on a lot of things, how many levels, the hospital, how many nights you stay in the hospital, the area, the surgeon. I had a one level ACDF and it was about $65,000. I paid about 2000, insurance paid the rest.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I don't believe it is a set number. Can be vastly different even in the same hospital depending on insurance, or cash payment.

Why are you asking?
  • I had a one level ACDF at a university hospital in NYC and the bill from my neurosurgeon was $70,000 and the hospital bill was $51,000. We have excellent insurance and paid less than $300 for the anesthesia. So I guess it varied considerably.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • im pretty much finished without insurance right?
  • Without insurance of some type you are out of luck especially if you want to chose who works on you. Look around and see if you can find a clinical trial to get into. Some require you to have insurance and some don't. The downside can be you will be treated with something/way that is not the norm so the chance of being injured may be higher but on the flip side of the coin it may also be a better way of doing things.

You could do your homework and go out of the country and have it done. Way less expensive even considering the airfare and hotel bills. Seems kind of scary to me but one does what one has to do.

Try to get yourself a job that has insurance. If your really hurting that may be out of the picture. You may try contacting some of the bigger hospitals that are known to do trials and see if anything pops up.

I wouldn't want to be in your position but the best of luck to you.