Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CharliJCCharliJ Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I wanted to post to give some hope for all you post acdf people out there- because this was the post I wanted to read a year ago. I am 16 months post a C6 C7 discectomy- I had a massive herniation with some spinal cord compression and extensive neurological- motor weakness in my left arm. It has taken a very long time but I am virtually pain free now and the motor weakness has almost completely gone. I had neck and shoulder muscle spasms for well over a year and additionally I had ulnar problems following the operation itself in both my forearms and hands. I spent a lot of time despairing and thinking I would never get better. I read a lot of very gloomy stuff on the internet. But I am much better- the nerves have healed very very slowly. Some days I could not move my head- now my ROM feels pretty normal. I still have a bit of ulnar stuff going on but I know it's getting better. These are the things that helped me: MOVEMENT. I walked and walked. Then I did physio and pilates. I lay on a swiss ball and stretched my arms out, to stretch my thoracic area. Every day for five minutes or so. I lay on my back with my knees up -a lot. I learned to meditate. Jon Kabat Zinn's book "Full catastrophe Living" really helped. I took sertraline (zoloft)...which helped the depression which descended. I felt much better in the new Year- psychologically. I gradually increased my exercise- cycling and swimming- being careful to keep aligned. I had massage every two weeks from a myofascial release therapist. Then I started zumba- which I did gently at first- but it made me feel great from the beginning- in my head and increasingly in my body. I started enjoying being in my body again. I worked really hard at my recovery. Oh I had acupuncture too- five element- not specifically to work on the pain but on my emotions surrounding the pain. I tried to look forward and be positive. I gradually got back to work (I'm a scriptwriter) which took my mind off the pain. I tried to meet the pain with interest, breathe with it, not panic. It has taken a long time like I say- and maybe I would be in the same place now if I hadn't done any of those things- and time was all it needed. BUt I had many moments when I didn't trust that I would get better and I would have welcomed a story of hope. I think I have learned a lot about myself- my tendency to panic, my tendency not to be kind to myself, my tendency to feel like a failure- and I have had to challenge those things and not believe everything I think. I have tried to look at my journey as a breakthrough and not a breakdown, to make friends with my body and what it is trying to tell me. I tried to diet too- and that was tough! but I found upping my protein made me feel better, taking fish oils, not giving myself a hard time about the meds I was taking. Still believing that I was a whole, good person with a future despite my injury. Not getting too caught up in the I will never be the same storyline. We are all different - I am a 43 mother of two, living in the UK- and our journeys will be different, but if I could go back now to the time after my operation I would tell myself: don't be afraid, the body is a miraculous thing and things will get better...rest, trust, move, listen to your body and be kind to yourself...

• From one 43 year old mother of two to another: thank you for posting this! I am roughly just under 16 months post-op as well and am still not giving up! My pain has gotten much better and I still feel changes with the kind of pain I get. You are right that the body is a miraculous thing! Thank you for sharing! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Lili- don't give up. The pain does change. I'm not completely there yet- I still take some medication- but I really try and focus on the 95% of my body that functions beautifully! We can't expect to go through life without pain- childbirth brought me problems with my pelvis and back but that pain changed evolved and went after some years. Put yourself in the camp with the well people! And I really believe a balance of movement and rest is essential for health. Try and stay positive- for your kids too. My Mum has degenerative discs and scoliosis and all I remember her talking about is pain. She is in terrible pain but she has never believed she had any power in her situation- she just waited for pills and doctors to fix her. When my disc slipped I thought- here we go I will be the same as her- but I don't believe that now- and anyway thinking that my future will be like hers isn't helpful to either of us. I try and stay rooted in now- what is the pain/ sensation like now...where am I not in pain now? The mind is a powerful thing!
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I am a bit over 8 weeks out and find myself worrying about still having some shoulder/shoulder blade issues. Your post was very enlightening! :)
    ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012
  • Hi Karen,
    Your shoulder blade issues may well resolve more quickly. I just wish I had known that it can take two years or so for nerves to heal. I also believe that negative thinking can affect us on a cellular level and that thoughts/ worries aren't facts- so we have to retrain ourselves/ reset our neural pathways with positive thinking- "I am healing, my nerves are recovering, soon I will enjoy vibrant good health again". I know that doing that has made me feel better emotionally and when I am anxious the pain is worse. I started to believe after six months that I was in a chronic pain scenario- a pain that would never go so I've worked hard to get myself out of that rut. I did need the comfort of knowing other people were going through a similar thing but sometimes I had to remove myself from incessant talk of illness, pain and new worrying symptoms. I became convinced I had thoracic outlet syndrome from looking on the internet- but then I said- stop this! your body is unique and is trying hard to find balance. Give it time- that made the pain easier to bear and actually made my recovery speedier I believe. Think positive!