Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For those who like to use Ice Packs....

edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Pain Management
Homemade Comfy Ice Packs:
1 part rubbing alcohol and 2 parts water.
Put in a ziploc bag (I use 2 to be safe).

Since there is alcohol in it, it won't freeze to a solid block of ice. It's slushy and so you can comfortably put in on your head, neck, etc.
I am who I am!

• yep..when ever i put ice packs on my back it causes a deep ache and throbbing. Swelling goes down but it makes the pain worst. PT are always trying to get me to try ice pack but i tell them i cannot with stand more than about 5 mins. Anyone else have this problem?
  • I usually like the heating pad on my back - like you I usually can't stand the ice on my back. But right after the epidural they recommended them to help with the 2 injection sites and the ice packs really did feel good. And for some strange reason, I am just the opposite with my neck - can't stand heat on it, so I use ice on it. I've had to insist on no ice on back at PT too, but then insist if they were going to put something on my neck, make it ice.

I'm a firm believer in 'if it makes you hurt more don't do it'! Makes no sense to use ice if it makes you hurt, or to use heat if that makes you hurt. And at PT, I could not stand their massages on my low back - felt good on my neck/shoulders, but not my back - at all!
    I am who I am!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    The icing has always been a big help to me. Especially if I've done something to inflame it. I found some medical ice packs that don't get hard at one of the big chain pharmacies.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • yes heat seems to work most of the time but my PT tells me that heat is bad. Yeah.....i looked at him like 0.o because it feels great. As far as someone touching my back...well they don't! Now i have not had anyone touch my back since the pump but fear from what it was like before prevents me from letting one touch my back again.
  • What a great idea!! Thank you for sharing. Gonna mix up a couple of bags right now!!
    Patsy W
  • Actually my step-mom had told me about that years and years ago and I had forgotten about it until a couple weeks ago. I bet you are going to love them, Patsy! :)
    I am who I am!
  • The "hot water" bottles to mix the slushy in, they are sturdier then the ziplocs. I have a couple I made up for a knee replacement a year and a half ago and the are great.

For my neck I use both the ice bags as well as heat. Ice especially after epidurals definately helps.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • That's a great idea! I will pick a few up this weekend, just found out my surgery is Monday and I'm sure I'll be going through a lot of ice packs! Thanks Davrunner!
    I am who I am!
  • Ouchy - you sre having surgery this Monday?! - How the heck did I miss that? :down: If you have another thread going about it please send me the link, other please share here what type and all that jazz ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • LOL - Probably because I didn't find out till this morning myself. And I try not to post too much on here lately, seems like I always goof up somehow! (probably medications and pain)
    Well he's not going to do the big one. Disectomy L4-5, remove spurs, clean out both sides of the disc (guessing that is for the stenosis) both legs and feet are even weaker than they were last time I was in and the pain is rough. Guess it will be rougher for a little while though.

Have you had back surgery?
    I am who I am!
  • Great idea ouchy and davrunner! I usually prefer heat, but sometimes cold packs feel better. I am going to make some of these up today!

Ouchy, wow, Monday! At least you don't have a long wait. Do you have everything organized at home though for your return post surgery? Not alot of time to prepare.

Wishing you all the best, hope that it brings you relief.
    Look forward to bearing how you are doing, when you feel up to it.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • But the hubs will do what we don't have done as we see we need it. He's the best caretaker in the whole world. Got some things done that I wanted to do, like got my hair colored - it really needed it and I know I won't be doing that anytime soon. Have my supply of comfy night shirts sitting on my dresser so I don't have to bend down to get them - betting I live in those when I come on on Tuesday. We're going to the grocery store tomorrow, keeping it simple and he does cook too. He says he wants me to make sure I have all the 'treats' around that I love. Since there are no kids at home anymore, that makes it a bit easier. We have the down stairs guest bedroom fixed up so if I can't do stairs I can use that bed, but I love my bed so much more - pesky stairs! Got refills called in for my bp meds and thyroid meds so we can get those picked up and not have to worry. There just isn't a lot of time to prepare and the weekend is not giving me a reprieve so I feel like being on my feet very long. Today is the first time my right leg went completely numb from thing to foot on me - made me temporarily glad surgery is Monday. But I'm getting very nervous and have cold feet. He said there would be a lot of pain next week and that pain meds will help a little, but still be prepared for a lot of pain. That's scaring me. And I don't want to much on my husband, he just had epidural a week ago and though he is the perfect husband - I want him to not do too much and undo any good the ESI might have done for him. Other than those things, just don't know of anything that I personally need to do. We do so much together around here and we've planned on a couple of things to make it easier for us both - kinda learned that from his 2 neck surgeries. Have tons of books downloaded on my kindle. I think we'll be okay. The pain part really has me nervous right now!
    I am who I am!
  • I keeping checking here and have not heard/seen anything from you :( I sure hope your OK :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • One thing I'm not allowed to do much of is sit. I could load spine-health on my phone, but honestly I use my phone for emails, FB, calls and texting and that's about it! It was a much bigger surgery than I thought it would be. Had a rough week last week and he said I would, starting to feel a little better in 'spurts'. Big accomplishment of the day was I could dress myself - but I can't do my bandage - I think one would have to be a contortionist to do so. Like I said, I don't post a lot about it because I don't want to goof up - and yes, I am on some heavy duty (at least to me) pain meds. I think I have a couple other posts about it, but I don't remember where! I'll see if I can change my profile pic so you can see my incision, think I have it cropped well enough. I guess since no one knows who I am, it will be okay - I'm funny that way when there are so many ppl I don't really know here yet!
    I am who I am!
  • edited 06/18/2012 - 2:08 PM
    I tried to create an avatar and I have no idea how this happened! It said it would be resized to fit the avatar. LOL, seems I can't do anything right on this site! I also don't get emails anymore to notify me when someone posted. Would like to leave it for a just a little bit so Mrs. Humpty can see it, hopefully that is okay to do.
    I am who I am!
  • thanks for idea
    I can never have enough ice pks
    ouch on picturs
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.