Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Pain Medications
I went to get a second opinion about my severe facet arthritis from another OS. He thinks I should take Soma for the pain I get in my upper back and neck. He wrote me a rx and sent me on my way. Since my PCP write my rx for MsContin, Percocet and skelexin I thought I should run it by her. Her MA called and said she would never write a rx for soma due to its highly addictive properties and strongly suggested that I not fill it. I told her I wouldnt and made an appt. for in a few weeks to discuss. Has anyone had this happen to them? I am already taking highly addictive drugs why is Soma different? I have tried flexeril, robaxin and currently Skelexin. Any one take a different muscle relaxer long term that works well and doesn't make tired in the daytime? I am trying to not have another surgery until I have to. The surgery that I will probably have in the future will be for instability and I probably won't be able to return to work.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have problems with muscle spasms in my arms and neck. Soma is the only medication that helps control it. I was on Soma for years but then all the sudden all my docs are against prescribing due to the addictive nature of the drug. It also makes no sense to me because of all the other highly addictive drugs im prescribed. Ive tried every muscle relaxer you can imagine and nothing works as well as the soma does.
  • For me Soma works well and although it makes me drowsy its not as bad as some of the other muscle relaxers in that regard. I have never understood why doctors make such a big deal about the addictive properties of it when other muscles relaxers and pretty much every other medication we are prescribed are "addictive" and cause withdraws if stopped suddenly.

It must be the fact that Soma is known as a street drug and has gotten some bad press in the past that make it such a big issue. I don't personally understand this, and I must not get the same effects of it as abusers do because I never have the feeling of reaching for another Soma unless I have lots of pain and muscle spasms. In fact I tend to minimize my intake of Soma because it makes me drowsy (no other effects for me), and because of this only take it near bedtime, or during the day if I need it (I'm usually in enough pain at this time I'm not very functional and sleep is the best thing for me)....Mitch
  • I took soma prescribed to me by my primary care doctor about a year ago. I took one tablet most nights and it helped quite a bit. I never felt like i was getting addicted but i did build a little tolerance to it and stopped taking it after a while. Recently I called my PM and asked if I could switch from zanaflex back to soma because the zanaflex wasn't helping very much any more and giving me a lot of side effects (I have been taking zanaflex for about 6 mo), her nurse called back saying no, just take more of the zanaflex. I am kind of dissapointed, not because she won't prescribe the soma but because I didn't want to take more zanaflex, I wanted something completely different. I have already taken skelaxin and flexeril, both I don't want to take again.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • And all I can say is maybe, cause this comes from my doc. There are more allergic reactions to soma than some of the other drugs in the muscle relaxer catagory? I know I was given this drug and spent the next three days in IU after I went into shock. Wasn't much fun.

• tamtamttamtam Posts: 2,749
    edited 06/15/2012 - 4:27 AM
    I have been on Soma for years now and at the highest dose. I asked my doctor this very question long ago as I seen it come up so much. His answer was what is the difference in all the other drugs I give you being addicted and this one. Here is how soma works. When it breaks down in the body it does so to a barbiturate and that is the part they are worried about. It has also become one of the street drugs being illegally used for that reason, but they don't use the way you and I do, they snort it or something to that effect. But if you are on other narcotics it wouldn't make a difference as those are highly sought after as well. Some say soma makes them tired which is why I was originally given it, but I take 4 times a day, and am up with it during the day, but at night I use two of them and does help a little with sleeping.
  • When I take a perc every 6 hours with soma it seems to boost it. If I just take a perc I can tell that it doesn't help me as much.
  • edited 06/18/2012 - 1:28 AM
    Some days I take 2, some days 3 soma (1 at a time though!). I've never felt like - OMG a soma would sure feel good. I reach for it when I'm having muscle spasms and I do take one at bedtime, it does help me relax and sleep. Post op, I'm on percocet, and true to what the doctor said the first week has been very very hard and pain med only took the edge off, so yes, I jotted down each time I take my pain med and I can have it every 3 hours (it is 10/325 percocet) - most times I'm looking at the clock saying - oh boy an hour and a half to go, or an hour to go. I don't get a 'buzz' from it or the soma and the last couple days I have been able to go 4 hours, sometimes 5 on the pain med, because I'm starting to heal.

All this to say - why don't doctors realize the truth about addictive drugs? If taken as prescribed for actual pain, we don't become addicted? If we have to take them long enough, some of us will be come dependent. There is a bad apple in every bunch - there will always be a patient or 2 that says their pain is worse than what it actually is in order to try to get stronger meds and/or more of them. There will always be the patient that doctor shops. But, most times, since what our MRI, CT scans or myelograms show isn't indicative of how much pain we have (ex - you can have a completely ruptured disc and never know it until they find it looking for something else, while the next person can have a bulging disc but it's pressing on a nerve creating pain and havoc) - they can tell from our reflexes and all the neuro tests they do. Try as we might, there are many of them that we can't fake. A reflex is just that - a reflex. I just hate the fact that because there is so much street use of prescription drugs, the ones that are left to suffer are usually the ones that need them the most. In the beginning with my doctor, he made the comment 'nothing helps nerve pain', and he knew my pcp was giving me 7.5/500 vicodin 3 times a day + soma 325mg 3 times a day - so now looking back, I think at that time he thought that was taking care of the pain, and I do think nothing makes it go away completely (or at least for those that I personally know with back pain - maybe it does for some). When I had that horrible flare up 8 days after the epidural and called his office, he called me in 10/325 vicodin to be taken once every 4-6 hours. It was a Godsend - no it didn't take it all away, but it did help me. He gave me what the drugstore deemed a week's supply of the percocet 10/325 post op and end of today I will have been home 7 days - I have about a third of it left. I don't know if I will still need it then, or if the 10mg hydrocodone will work. He told me that post-o it would be morphine, then percocet and then down to the vicodin. When they gave me the first dose of percocet in the hospital - I was scared it wouldn't work, and they said if it didn't they would give me the morphine, but that of course I couldn't go home until I could just take pills (morphine went in my IV). Well honestly the first day in the hospital wasn't as bad as the days ahead, so it worked.

I'm not for a lot of government intervention and I think that doctors should be allowed to treat as they see fit rather than have to worry about hundreds of laws. BUT, since there are so many laws, maybe there should be one to help patients that are in agony, like us - and I'm sure other people with other problems that cause them so much pain. Having adequate pain medicine is not something we should be stressing about. And if you took soma for a long time and you weren't taking more than you were supposed to, etc, then you were handling it just fine. No way it suddenly became more addictive just because street users have found a way to get high from it. There need to be laws to protect us - simply that if our doctor decides we need it, they should have no worries about prescribing it. Now, when someone is given 2 weeks worth of meds and run out in a week, there is a problem - either they are undermedicated or they are abusing them. Personally, I'd rather call my doc and say 'this isn't working' then have him think I'm not following his orders. I think we have to gain our doctor's trust in us, same way they have to gain our trust!

Just my 2 cents!
    I am who I am!
  • Ive got several damaged levels in my back and with massive muscle spasms...they'll wrap around my rib cage and its all I can do to breathe...Ive tried about everything, and Soma is the only muscle relaxer that helps me. Because of lack of insurance I go on/off...the only result is an increase in spasms/pain but I don't crave the stuff (If something else helped Id take that instead)...Ive always taken as prescribed (4 daily, 6 hours apart) and part of why it works is that when spasms go out of control they trigger even more spasms...when under control, I don't hardly have a problem with them unless I overdo something. And I agree about gaining a dr's trust...it is vital..a lot of my problem right now is Ive moved and despite records, they all look at me like Im some kind of addict. I can say that the stuff works, and if taken properly as preescribed has not been addictive for me. Hope that helps
    L3-4 tear, L4-5 herniation, L5-S1 ALIF Fusion; T 10-12 degeneration; --C5-6 retrolisthesis, osteophyte, degeneration, stenosis