Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does Valium 10mg Help

mikeystcmmikeystc Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Pain Medications
As a Muscle Relaxer I Going To Ask My Doctor To RX Me This Medicine It Helped Me Before

• I take Valuim as a muscle relaxer but it is more of a sedative with muscle relaxant qualities. It does help sleep though.
  • everyone are going to have different reactions to medication. Valuim most likely didn't help me because i was on other things before it. In fact i cried for 2 weeks straight because it felt like i was taking nothing at all. At one point i thought the doctor was testing me by giving me water pills. He yelled (really) at me for not calling him sooner.
  • Your other thread is about a similar subject of asking your Dr. for medicine...

I'm confused about this as you haven't updated us on that one...

Why are you asking your Dr. what to take? As I wrote on that thread....if I didn't trust my Dr. to know more than me...then what am I doing seeing him/her?

It sends up a huge red flag that you are doing this.

Your job as a patient is to tell them what is hurting...where....and what are your limitations and then they choose the appropriate modality.

And as I wrote earlier...there is much more to helping your pain than just a medication.

Valium is for anxiety and even though it relaxes your muscles by default...it is not a first line of actual muscle relaxers.

And just because a medicine works or doesn't work for someone on these boards....that has absolutely no bearing on how it will affect or help you.

That is why many of us said on the other thread to speak with your Dr. and let him/her decide.

Not trying to be mean here...just trying to help.
  • I agree with lovetotravel. Talk to your doctor! If you are open and honest with your Dr you should be getting help.

Yes, I understand its sometimes hard to get doctors to listen to you...

But asking your doctor for Valium before you have tried other methods of pain relief does send up a big red flag.

Along with PT, ice, heat, whatever possible options you have that do not concern medications...your doctor should be aware of...? It takes time to find what medications plus other things (listed above; PT, swimming, ice, heat, I even bought a new bed!) will work best for you.

And like I said on your last post, I really messed up and told my doctor what meds I thought I needed and it put an end to all meds until my MRI results were in.

Once you straight up ask your doctor for any medication he is going to think twice about giving you anything. Even with legitimate evidence, it still a cause for concern.

Just a heads up...be very careful about asking your doc for certain meds, especially Valium if you have not tried other alternative methods or medications like SOMA, norflex, robaxin, zanaflex. Your doctor knows what he is doing but it is also up to you to help him understand what's going on. If he feels that you need Valium I'm sure he would have prescribed it already...? I may be wrong.

But really be careful about what you say and how you say it when talking about medications with your doctor.

Not trying to sound mean..just letting you know from personal experience. :-)

Good luck!