Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain perspective?

Chris1981CChris1981 Posts: 1
Hi all, just signed up here and hoping for a little advice.

I'm a 31 year old guy and I have been having problems with my back for around 4 years now. I used to be very active and did a lot of high impact sports. Guess the years of doing them caught up with me.

It started as a dull ache which got worse over a period of months untill I lost a lot of flexibility in my lower back and any exercise would make sciatica flair up.

My doctor refered me to an NHS Physiotherapist, who to cut a long story short, didn't do anything. I then went to see a private physio, who thought it may have been an SI joint problem. The physio sessions did not help.

I then went to an NHS consultant and eventually an MRI scan showed 2 mild and one rather bad slipped discs. I was told rest would help. So rest I did, and it got a bit better.

Now I have relapsed to a point where it is much worse than it has ever been. I got out of bed one night and ended up flat on the floor for the next two days. The Doctor put me on zapain, naproxen and diazapam which totally knocked me out. I got sent home from work because I could hardly walk and was not of much use. In the end I was signed off for two weeks.

During that time it got better by maybe 20%, and I have been back at work for two days.

So thats the history, now the question.....

Am I just being a bit of a wimp? Currently I'm taking 2 zapain two or three times a day, when I litterally cant take the pain. It is constant sciatica, which varies between mild tingling and throbbing pain down to my ankle. My bum feels like a knot of muscle and hurts all the time. I have a couple of almoast totally numb spots at the top of my leg, and I can't walk or stand still for any legnth of time, even with the pain killers. Its just constant, unending pain. Not agony, but just pain. The only saving grace is that my back itself does not hurt at the moment.

its been about two weeks since I saw the doctor. Should I be back at work? Should I see the GP again? Any other advice?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for your help.

• Hi Chris....
    This is advice I have for you.. from someone who played competitive sports, and thought I was a superwoman. Well, that's how I got in my back hell story!
    but, I have to share with you.. You are not being a wimp! Pain is pain... and it is our bodies only way of communicating with us when we are hurt. Listen to it! Careful when you take pain pills.. cause the pain is still there, just numbed. I was very silly and did way too much on pain pills.
    What you do NOW in life.. will help , *or hinder* you for future happiness of your back.
    So.... learn all ya can.
    Listen to the pain and muscle spasms...
    have you gone to PT yet>? can you go chat with a PT, find out exactly what they would recommend for you? (me was swimming, daily core exercises).

I am a few years older than ya, but I had a really tough time with my brain and body. Brain wants to do it ALL.. body, nope. So, rather than beat yourself over it all... work WITH it.

Hoep I haven't babbled too much!
    all the best to ya, and you have found an amazing site to learn alot from.. and have some new cyber buddies who understand!
  • Hi Chris,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others unfortunately in the same situation as yourself.

As far as to your question of should you be back at work, well that is totally up to you if you can tolerate it or not.

Should you go back to the GP, the answer is Yes, There are other medications and treatments they can do to help. Sometimes a injection into the spot will help, or a dose of steriods may be more useful. My point is your doctor should have more things to offer you, if what they have given you and did doesn't help.

One thing is important is they find the true source of the pain, pain generator. Otherwise they begin treating the wrong areas. Keep track of what your doing and what makes it worse and what makes it better. One thing you can do is walk and walk more, this is actually healthy for your spine. Also watch the way you bend, lift and twist. When pain goes away from the originally injury sometimes it is caused by a nerve or something else and this is called referred pain. But then again, maybe they haven't found what is truly causing your issues.

Just so you know the forums will be down from Monday-Wednesday, so if you try to log in, don't think anything is wrong.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you get a long.
  • you have been given great advice here so I have nothing more to add ;) Please keep us updated how things go for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.