Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I just not looking in the right place?

I can find articles on the site regarding microdisectomy, but not disectomy. I can't have the micro one b/c of the other things he is doing. If there is medical info on the site about disectomy would someone let me know?
I am who I am!

• open decompression or open discectomy
  • Gotta realize this was planned Friday - so I didn't know all the questions to ask, I know he's trimming the disc and removing spurs and cleaning out nerve root both side of L4-L5 because I have pain (and worsening weakness) in both legs and feet. He did mention decompression. He showed me with his fingers how big the incision would be - husband and me guessed about 3 inches. Is that micro?
    I am who I am!
  • usually micro incisions are smaller than 3 inches, however every doc is different, I've had both. The first (open) scar was about 5 inches and the micro added about 2 inches, but some micro incisions are only an inch or so.
  • Maybe it is microdisectomy. He said I can do absolutely nothing at all for 2 weeks at least. Then it will be a gradual return to work (2-3 hours a day first week and so on). I work from home at a laptop, said no way can I be sitting for 8 hours to start with. And I think PT maybe starts around then. Can't remember for sure about when PT will start, was taking notes furiously and asking questions!
    I am who I am!
  • if he talked about stripping on both sides, I would guess it would be called open laminectomy and discectomy, but these are questions to call in to your doctor or doctor's assistant to make sure your info is correct and maybe to ease your mind a little. It's always easier for me if I know what's coming.

If I'm right and you recover anything like I did, you are not going to want to be in a hurry to be sitting up for any length of time. I was pretty sore for several weeks after surgery, however I recovered quickly after that.
  • That I did ask him and he said no, he's not doing a laminectomy.
    I am who I am!
  • I think he's preparing me to expect the worst after surgery, and then when it's not quite that bad then I will have fulfilled - but hope for the best.
    He's pretty open and honest with me and doesn't sugar coat anything, that I like. And he did say I won't be able to sit up for any length of time, not even week 3 which is why he'd only let me go back to work 2-3 hours week 3 (which will really be week 4 because I don't see him till Friday of week 3). But he's not doing a laminectomy and he's 'cleaning out' the nerve root space on both sides, trimming away the herniated disc and removing bone spurs. I asked what the procedure is called and he said, well the closest I could call it would be disectomy - so my thinking is that is what it is + the other little things he's going to do. I'll see him at the hospital before surgery and will talk to him then.
    I am who I am!
  • Ouchy - I came across a "table" of sorts that is made for people laying down on their backs to hold their laptops on and use. Google some key words and see what you find.

I did not bookmark it - sorry.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Ms., are you talking about so I can work while laying down? I'm thinkin' I'm going to be doing a lot of napping and watching movies next week, and if I can't get to it from my smart phone, I just doubt I'll want to lub my laptop around for a while after tomorrow.
    I am who I am!
  • Micro is the size of the incision and the tool. It's a much smaller device with smaller needle/chipper inside. It's fine if that is the only thing he needs to do. Either way it's the same surgery.

• Yeah he didn't say 'micro' and I don't think it is, probably because he's doing several things. Okay with me - it's the end result that matters!
    I am who I am!
  • I knew he told me the first time I saw him that he would, but Friday he said he wasn't going to. Found out yesterday he did laminectomy , decompression, trimmed the herniated disc, removed bone spurs, and cleaned out both sides of L4-L5 since I had pain and worsening weakness in both legs. Still - I sure didn't think that would take an 8" long incision. I guess that takes the 'micro' right out of disectomy! And yeah - they hurt. But today is day 4, counting day of surgery, and it's not much, but I'm noticing slight improvement. The leg and foor pain was gone as soon as I woke up! Wooohooo!!!
    I am who I am!
  • I think I had same reaction when I read my post-op report. I guess I must have been so overwhelmed that I didn't realize the laminectomy came along with it. They do that so they can get free the nerve and get the herniated portion of the disc.

Bummer on the incision but glad to hear leg/foot pain is gone. Take it nice an easy with recovery. I found the key is really several easy 10min walk/day just to keep scar tissue off nerve, leave sitting only for meals, don't bother getting in a car b/c it jostled you around too much...even if you are cleared to drive, try not to until 6-week post op.

GOod luck with recovery
  • Was anyone who had back surgery able to lay on their back for a while? 12 days later I can do a lot of things I didn't think I'd be able to yet, but laying on my back - cannot do it - hurts too much. I can sit up for quite an amount of time already - probably because I had to do a lot of that for the last 5 years. Thankfully sleeping on my left side has always been how I like to sleep and I can do that. But I'm curious if most can lay on their back - Ms. Humpty, could you? I didn't find anything on Google though.
    I am who I am!
  • It was an open decompression with laminectomy, bone spur removal and some 'cleaning up'. NOW, but not last week the incision looks a lot worse than it feels - but I cannot lay on my back at all. Seems like I did at the hospital but that's such a blur.
    I am who I am!
  • is so easy for me - can do it for hours - maybe because that's what I've done for a living for so many years. Gives me hope that I'll be released for work next Friday! I work from home, so I can take any needed breaks and sit where I'm most comfortable. I MISS working so bad!!!! Walking where I live - find a place that doesn't involve steep inclines - not gonna happen, so I walk around the house quite a bit. The walking usually feels sooooooooooo good. I'm surprised and pleased where I am 12 days past surgery - last week I would have never dreamed I'd be doing so well and needing so little pain med. I don't like my doctor's personality but I knew that going in - just wanted him for his surgical skills. Thinking that worked out fine! :)
    I am who I am!
  • you sound just like me at 2 weeks out from my laminectomy & open discectomy. I felt so good that I did to much and herniated the level above at 2 1/2 weeks out. I ended up having a micro-D at the level above 5 months later. Believe me you don't want to go there, I'm still not healed almost 3 years later.

Make sure you do what the doctor says and be even more careful than he says. I'd hate to see you in my shoes.

Now on a lighter note, I'm really glad to hear you are feeling so much better, I love to hear a good ending to surgery!
  • JeremySVillaJeremySVilla Posts: 10
    edited 06/22/2012 - 10:54 PM
    I incline toward your idea.
  • What did you do that was too much? I find I have good days and 'bad days' but the bad days are nothing like the first week was - not even close. The doc has already mentioned that 'I might need surgery on the discs above' - which at first he was going to do surgery on all of them - but hey he makes more money this way right? They were already bulging. I'm trying really hard to use my legs and not my back - if I could manage to out-smart my doc, it wouldn't be the first time. But I'm really interested in what you did that brought on the herniation. The most I do is what I'm doing right now......probably the most physical thing is walking, showering and dressing. Even being the wife - my hubs won't allow me to do anything! I've finally talked him into letting me do a few things - like getting up to go get my own ice-water - no lifting involved, and the walking is good for me. The hardest thing is knowing I can't lift grandbabies and the youngest one has his first b-day party next weekend. :(
    I am who I am!