Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated disc and Golf

cooker1ccooker1 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have spinal stenosis and have recently been diagnosed with a herniated disc, L4-L5. I have had two epiduals and I have been told to put away my golf clubs. My question is, has anyone else had this and returned to playing. If so how long can I expect to be not playing?

• I loved to golf and even tried a few times, the pain it caused for me just wasn't worth it.

If you are planning to go about your recovery without surgery, I would give it up till okay with your doctor. Golf takes way to much twisting of your spine. The favorite saying for spineys is no bending, twisting or lifting. Needless to say you have to bend and twist to play golf.

I know this isn't what you want to hear (it about killed me to give up golf) but you need to treat your spine right so possibly you can get back to playing all the time after you've healed.

Good luck
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I had a fusion at L4/5 due in part to stenosis, among other things, and during PT, my surgeon asked them to specifically teach me a new swing so I could golf again. It must be common because my PT had an artificial grass patch, wiffle balls and a 7 iron among their stash of equipment. So six months later, I was playing golf with my new swing. I can't do 18 holes anymore, but could do 9. With my new problems, I can't play at all right now, but it IS doable. My new swing was hard to get used to and my hubby has to tell me when I'm reverting to my old ways, but it didn't hurt and I hit pretty well - sometimes better than before. It was kind of like getting a cheap golf lesson.

Like Gary said, though, I don't think you can play until the problem is fixed and you're way into recovery. Don't give up on the idea, you may well be back on the course again.

Feel free to ask any more questions or PM me if you'd like to talk about it.

• I have severe DDD in all lumbar discs. I also have severe stenosis at L4-L5 and L5-S1, and C2-C3. I still play golf 2 times a week. In fact I feel better when I play than when I don`t. I still hurt afterwards but it is worth it. You need to relearn your swing. Forget the days of 300 yard drives and 170 yard 7 irons. You will have to slow down and really control your motion. Limit the range of your backswing and follow through. If it gets out of control you will hurt. I have no problem with my swing now, but I cannot bend all the way down to get the ball from the cup. I had to get the little suction cup to go on the end of the putter. You are completely different from me so take it slow and careful and don`t hurt yourself. But don`t stay indoors, go out to the range and see what you can do. It beats sitting on your butt.
  • I go back to the doctor Wednesday. I am going to ask if he thinks I may be ok to play. I have played once since in the last six weeks. I really Don't know how long I have played with the bad disc. When I do play I do not hurt, but I get a little sore for about two days. thanks to everyone who responded.
  • I just got back from a week in Vegas. I played 3 times without any problems with my back. I started PT about 2 weeks ago and my therapist said take it easy and quit if I started hurting. I felt no difference after playing than I did before when I played. I have a lesson planed with a golf insructor and I hope he will have some ideas on changing my swing as not to aggrevate my back.