Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spine conditions causing muscle atrophy????

BrokebackBobBBrokebackBob Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:03 AM in Spinal Stenosis
In am 60 yr old male. I have stenosis in upper and lower back. Plenty of arthritis in lower back also.3level ACDF last July stopped level 7 and 8 pain in both shoulders and arms. I was unable to lift either arm above my chest due to pain before surgery. I had a severe case of c5 palsy in my left arm and have yet to regain all the strength in that arm. I probably at 60percent now.
Old problem has become a major one. About 5 years ago I had terrible time with left achillies which doctors blamed on a an accident. Will after a year of limping I finally wore a boot for 3months and that seemed to helped but it was never right and was a source of a nagging tightness. Well while at my 5 month post neck surgery checkup Doc took look at left calf, after I complained and asked how long has it been atrophied. I was shocked to see half the muscle gone.
I could raise my heel maybe and inch or two while standing on the ball of my foot. Now it hurts all the time, it is smaller than before and I cant raise off the heel more than an inch at best. And that type of execise is starting to hurt as are other movement that isolate the calf muscle.
Spinal problem?? Ever hear of it?? I gotta get back doc soon and find out what this is all about..

• Check out a dermatone map and see if any of the issues you are having could be part of it. Also the peroneal nerve runs through the calf, which I have damage to and it causes the outside of my calf to be numb down into the foot. The peroneal nerve is also a branch of the sciatic which the split is about the knee level. Now if you have ever had a broken leg or injury in the leg it could have caused the nerve to become trapped. AS far as the diagnoses it was rather easy a EMG study, and that is how it was diagnosed. To treat it, I have seen a plastic surgeon that deals with trauma to nerves and we decided on a surgery plan to take care of it, but due to my neck issues, haven't really figured out how I will get by not walking on it, but like with everything if it gets bad enough I am sure I will figure something out, ha. But the nerve that might be causing that issue, my guess would be the peroneal.