Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 wks and 5 days post op L4-5 microdiscectomy

I would like to know how people are recovering and resuming their daily activities and lifestyle after microdiscectomy. Also wondering if anyone has particularly good results and is easing back to exercise and work. I'm almost 7 wks post op as of June 15th and I'm now back to work full time and have been exercising beyond normal walking for one week now. I'm relatively free of pain with the occassional sensations in my feet that are brief. I would like to start weight lifting again by week 8, modified of course and cycling by 3 months (being very conservative here). Anyone else with similar goals or experiences?

I am 42 y/o old and have a moderately physical job. History of 7 yrs mild to severe sciatica of the left lower extremity and severe nerve tension. Good response to 3 epidurals but pain would return with activities that involved rotation and/or flexion of my spine.

• Hi there, I am 25 days post op and I am doing good. I have been walking since day 3 up to 2 miles a day pain free. I did 3 miles a few days ago and then was in quite a bit of pain 2 days after... I think I pushed it. How much did you walk after surgery? How far, how many times a day? I went back to work (Desk job) after 2 weeks. I am able to sit or stand at my desk so that is nice. What are the other exercises you are doing besides walking? I plan on doing PT after week 7 and maybe after week 12 starting some light weight lifting.

Sorry I don't have much advice since I am not as far out as you....
    Hope you continue to recover well!
  • Hi
    Happy to hear you are doing well. I started really pushing the walking at week 6. Initially everything I read said you can walk up to 3 miles/day early on but my do said keep it at 30 min if possible so I did and I had been painfree pretty much. It wasn't until this week that i've really picked up my activity that I am sore..a little back discomfort and some aches in my feet. But I may have overdone it too. I went back to work at 2 1/2 wks with modified duty and only part time. I mostly stand and intermittent sitting which is good like your job. I started doing stabilization exercise at week 5 ie; exercises PT shows you where you keep your spne neutral and contract your deep abdominal muscles (i'm a physical therapist). Even though i'm a PT I am moving myself along much quicker than I would recommend my own patients (do as I say not as I do type thing). I was very fit going in to surgery and have a hard time going slow but I am being very diligent to be cautious overall. I started walking this past week (wk 6 going on 7) 45 min non stop on flat and slight incline and have done the elliptcal for 30 min as well. I stretch my hamstrings and hip flexors and do bird dogs (on all fours raise opposite arm and leg) and bridges (lay on your back and lift butt up) and i added a few more advanced things last 2 days (prob why i'm sore). So I told myself I will stick with this for wk 6 to 8 then start light weight training at week 8 and progress from there. I haven't gone to PT because I didn't feel I really needed it and doc said it's fine if I feel like I don't need it. How old are you? What level was your microdiscectomy?