Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello and Good Day to Everyone!

I am so excited to have come across this place! My name is Kathleen, I'm an (almost in 8 days!) 23 year old female living in Alberta, Canada (little town called Red Deer, smack dab between Calgary and Edmonton, if anyone knows where they are!)

Here's the briefest overview I can offer:

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11. At age 13 I had my first surgery as my upper curve was at 75 degrees and, obviously, needed to be dealt with.

I have been fused from T1 to L4, and have had a grand total of 5 surgeries thus far to deal with the fallout from having to have surgery so young (as you might imagine, my body was still growing, so despite the excellent surgeon I had, my spine continued to curve and rotate, which shifted my rods and poked out my 'bits')

While I've stopped growing, I now suffer from chronic pain due to degenerative arthritis in my unfused vertebrae. The lower, unfused curve is at the 49ish degree mark, and my last appointment with my surgeon had him explaining that was we can expect to happen is to see my first or second vetebrae after the fusion begin to shift laterally due to the increased curve, at which point the rest of my back will be fused, L4 all the way down, eliminating all mobility.

The biggest issue is the chronic pain. I'm currently on 15 mcg/h BuTrans patches, I take 150 mg of Lyrica every day, as well as tylenol, advil, and muscle relaxants, and 5 mg morphine for break through pain (which, unfortunately, has increased a bit as of late.)

I came here both to seek support, as I'm feeling a little disheartened, and to get some opinion from my fellow chronic back pain sufferers about pain management and what they think works (I firmly believe that narcotic patches are the greatest creations ever. I can't ever go back to oral Ralivia. The highs and lows of it were awful!)

Other things about me... I love to write, I started after I was diagnosed, and it is my greatest passion in life. I am a Communications Major and I would like to be able to work at the Alberta Children's Hospital where I basically grew up or go into literary genre editing! I have two years left of my degree, but they have to be spaced out because I can't go to school as a full time student. I love video games, Tifa Lockheart is my idol, I have taken singing lessons since I was 8, and I am very sarcastic.

Also I love Stephen Colbert.

I am so excited to find an active forum where I can interact with individuals who are also suffering from chronic pain!

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. You sure have been through a lot at such a young age. Kudos for you for staying so positive and having a goal in life. Sounds like your on the right path with your medical issues. Check out what others are saying in the chronic pain forums and we have a few others here whom have dealt with scoliosis, so hopefully you all can hook up and share knowledge with each other.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i have also been a pain patient since my teen years although that was many years ago!! you certainly have alot on the ball and seem so strong and determined!! good for you!! you will find all kinds of information here on the forum so have a good look around and make yourself at home!! stop by anytime! and the best of luck to you!! Jenny
  • hernerherner Posts: 12
    edited 06/29/2012 - 3:46 AM
    Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team