Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

herniated disc, sciatica and ddd

i had surgery for l4 and 5 and sciatica 2 yrs ago
currently on 90mg morphine a day and 8 perks - oxycodones

recent mri states ddd, herniated l4 - huge buldge in back and some in front - stomach always upset when i eat anything

tried chiro - helped temporarily but costly

dr says he doesnt know what more he can do

referred me to neuro surgeon - 4 diff doctors - only 1 got back said another 2 wks til setting an appt

frustrated that no one seems to care - take ur pills and wait

im off work, cant do anything - big chore doing dishes or walking downstairs to store

i do not have faith in the second surgery if i get it - hard to talk to anyone about this cause i know trhey think im exaggerating my pain and discomfort

• Sorry to hear of your situation...

May I ask how long they have been prescribing 8 Percocets a day? That is a decent amount of Acetaminophen and it's unusual to be taking so many breakthrough medications during the day. A usual course of action if a patient is needing more than 2-3 BT a day...they will tirate up the extended release medication...

Because how you are taking it now it is part of your daily regimine and the Percocet won't work very well at all for any BT pain.

I used to be on Percocets for my BT pain and started getting terrible nausea and upset stomach/acid all the time. It turned out I was getting intolerant to the Acetaminophen.

So I am on MSContin as my extended release and we switched to OxyIR for breakthrough. This is just straight Oxycodone without the Acetamiophen.

Literally within a week, my tummy troubles disappeared and I haven't looked back the last few years!!!

This may be just one thing that is easy to change with your Dr. at least in regard to the stomach issues.

I know that everyone has different thoughts on Chiro...but all I can say is that my Neurosurgeon actually said to me on my first visit to him, "Thank God you did not go to a Chiro before you saw me as you could have been paralyzed instantly!"...

I don't know of any actual Medical Dr. that would recommend seeing a Chiro when you have documented herniations and previous surgeries!

As far as getting another surgery...I know for myself...I have only gotten surgery when the Neurosurgeon said it was absoluted needed or I would permanently lose strength and feeling in my arms (I have cervical issues)....

It's not meant for regular pain relief. I am blessed that it took away my nerve pain because that is what it is doing by opening up the disc space again and taking the pressure off the nerves and spinal cord.

But surgery is a choice between you and your Dr. (Hopefully you would get 2nd and 3rd opinions again before proceeding)..

Also...are you seeing an actual Pain Management Dr.? The main thing about managing chronic pain is to have a comprehensive program detailed for you.

This includes many other modalities and not just handing out narcotics...

There is daily/weekly/monthly

TENS unit
    Cortisone shots or treatment

And then use of other non narcotics like a muscle relaxer as a narcotic will not help muscle pain.
    Or a nerve pain medication if there is nerve pain as again, a narcotic does not help nerve pain.

Taking an antidepressant if needed
    A sleep aid if needed (either medicinal or non medicinal)

Attending counseling with a therapist who specializes in chronic pain to learn tools to emotionally handle living with pain.

Just to name some other things...

So hopefully you have a Dr. who is having you do all of these things and not just give you opiates and send you on your way. I would run in the other direction.

Everything we use is like a piece of the puzzle that will help take the pain down a bit. If someone only takes an opiate...then they are using them to do ALL the pain relief...

With chronic pain I live with about a 5-7 on the pain scale daily with using almost all the modalities I mentioned. This is the norm as we aren't meant to be pain free unfortunately.

As well as if this is my life...I work with my Dr. to stay on the absolute lowest amount of opiates as possible.

Just some thoughts.....We can all empathize what it's like to live with pain and spine issues. Those of us on here are the small percentage that doesn't have it just go away on it's own. Hundreds of thousands of people have DDD and spine issues as they age...

It's the luck of the draw for people like us who still have chronic pain where it affects our daily life...

• thanks for getting back to me so quickly - i was really surprised someone would actually take time to help

ithe dose of 8/day was bumped up 3mos ago - was 4/day for 4yrs
    morph was 60mg day for 4 yrs and at same as perks 90mg/day time release - 45 twice a day

my doctor only writes the script and im gone
    bend over and try to touch your toes then signs my script

he is older adn just got cancer - his son dies a month and a half ago so he does not operate anymore cause of the chemo and age

he has referred me to 4 diff doctors and only one responded stating 2 wks before an appt can be made

the herniation is huge in the back and in the front too - pressing on my stomach as well i guess

i do have problems when i eat but nothing major

if i sit longer than 2 mins im in pain - really bad pain - if i stand for longer than 10 mins it starts acting up and extremely uncomfortable

it has taken me 7 mos for the pain centre to respond to me but have an apt in aug

so basically hes medicating me until i get an operation or see the pain centre

i tried one day to take no meds and it was hell

every inch of my body ached like 10 and had no energy - im worried i am addicted to this medication as well - i know i am and i hate it

i only feel like 3-5 when laying down doing nothing which isnt good either

i walk around when i can - some light chores around the house

on sick leave for 4 mos so i hope i can get an operation so i can be at least 80 percent the man i was before - i know i will never be the same unless i inherit a million dollars and go to the states to seek the best drs

i have done accupuncture, tens,massage therapy, bowens therapy,heating pad and cold pad - cold pads made my area being treated break out in a bad rash and really uncomfortable for a couple hours - itchy and pain - really weird - cov ered with a towel too

i hope this was the info that can help you help me on what to do

is there specific exercises i can do to help reduce the pain in my back and both legs - i have numbness and pain in the left leg and just pain in the right as well - im a fine mess lol

thanks again and i hope to hear from u again soon - u r a life saver - u finally made me feel happy - that has been a long time since i felt that

you r doing alot help and support for people like us

keep it up pls - thanks nick b
This discussion has been closed.