Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatic nerve compression

biobabe131bbiobabe131 Posts: 47
Hi there,

I have been having a serious of symptoms for the last few years, which I now believe is due to a compressed sciatic nerve, and am looking to hear the experiences of those with similar pain.

I experience: burning pains that radiate down from the crease where my hamstrings and buttocks meet, muscle spasms and twinges in my feet and sometimes in the calves and quads, sharp pains in my hamstrings, hips, and calves, and a buzzing sensation in my feet.

I also experience extreme muscle tightness, where my leg muscles feel so tight they ache and feel like they are going to burst. The tightness comes and goes as I experience flare ups and makes it very difficult to walk. My feet also sometimes turn blue and or bright red, though I am not sure how this relates.

Right now, I am working with two sports medicine doctors, who believe that I have somehow compressed my sciatic nerve. I have not found any problems with my back with an MRI, but am getting an MRI on my pelvis/ hamstrings as my doctors think scar tissue build up may be compressing the nerve. I have tried myofascial release, active release therapy (ART), and intramuscular stimulation (IMS) and have found a little relief, but nothing permanent.

Any advise is welcome!

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 06/19/2012 - 2:22 PM
    Sounds like same pain i been dealing with after my surgery that nobody has been able to help with even with a spinal cord stimulater they implanted in me, You mention dr told you posible scar tissue ? You had previous surgery that would of caused scar tissue build up ?

The pain if its not from the spine could be from periformis syndrom in the pelvic area causing sciatica from the periformis muscle being tight agrivating the sciaric nerve, Seems its often hard to diagnose and very often dr,s over look it,
    Its very hard from what i read to confirm this is the cause and often goes on for long time when they cant confirm it,

Besides that mostly they send you to pt for it anyway to losen the gluten muscles to try to releise the sciatic nerve because surgery is for worse cases cuting ligament in the performis muscle, Surgery sounds risky to me but i think i would do it in a heart beat after 8 years of dealing with it if they would confirm 100 % thats the cause,

Ask your dr about this condition see what he says, Best of luck. Hope this helps,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hi alexhurting,

I am sorry to hear you experience these symptoms, too. And for 8 years- that is truly horrible! I've also had a long-standing case of pain, which has lasted about 5 or so years. Unfortunately, I didn't come across the right doctors until about two years ago and was really confused by my pain up until then. As well, I was misdiagnosed with shin splints early on. The local doctors here didn't seem to have any idea what was going on with me.

I have heard about piriformis syndrome, but my doctors don't seem to think this is the issue in my case. I have also heard it is really difficult to diagnose as you say though, so I am always wondering. I have heard many other things can cause sciatic pain as well, such as disc herniation (in the lumbar or regular spine), spinal tumors, bone spurs, muscle tightness and or adhesions (scar tissue), misalignment of the hips, pelvis, or low back, etc. I have had an MRI on my spine, though, and things seem to be ok there. I can't really attest to feeling any low back pain either. I've also had a nerve conduction test which oddly didn't show any issues.

My symptoms seem to worsen with movement to the point where even little movements --like making breakfast and standing for any period of time-- are difficult. I have had better times scattered among flare ups, but it always seems to return.

I am just waiting to get an MRI on my pelvis/ hamstring area, which I hope will help rule things out and move towards a cause. I sure hope we find something and can treat it!

What sort of surgery did you have previously and what have you tried for your sciatica so far?
    Best of luck to you as well! Thanks that did help!