Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Work at 11 weeks post-op?

Hello, I am Peggy. I had L4/S1, posterior laminectomy with fusion and instrumentation on May 24th. At 4 weeks post-op, I think I am doing well. I take pain meds about 3 times a day along with flexaril. I tried to take Tramadol instead of Norco but it didn’t relieve my pain. I can walk 2 blocks without pain and 4 blocks with pain. I am just frustrated at how slow it takes to recover. I knew this before surgery but living it is harder. I wear a brace all day and a bone growth stimulator for 2 hours a day.
I am supposed to return to work Aug. 20th (11 weeks post-op) as a school nurse. I will have to bend. From all of your experience, is this a realistic goal?

• backbback Posts: 190
    edited 06/20/2012 - 9:53 AM
    There is no way to know if that will be realistic until the time comes. For some, they never get well enough to return to work while others return quickly. I returned to work 3 weeks after my 2 level fusion 5 years ago. The catch is that I work in an office. If I had to stand or move about for long periods of time, I would not be able to work even to this day. Has your doctor started you on PT yet? I did water PT for 5 months after the 1 month time frame. Water PT takes a lot of the load of your back so you can do more, but be careful, it sure wears you out quickly.

• I'm out 11 weeks from a L5-S1 instrumented TLIF. I went back to work after three weeks but primarily do desk and conference room work. I'm just now turning the corner to full recovery but had a few frustrating set-backs along the way (primarily muscle spasms). The one thing I still struggle with is bending at the waist as the muscles around the incision and hardware are still unforgiving. That said, my surgeon strongly encouraged me to learn to squat as opposed to bending anyway so as to avoid overstressing my adjacent levels long-term. So, to answer your question, you should be fine but you'll want to figure out how to do your job without bending in my opinion.
  • I went back at 11 weeks post l5s1 fusion. I hadn't had the "textbook" post op experience and I found it really hard. I am a teacher. I was about 50% time when I went back and that was tough. I don't bend but do spend much of the day on my feet. I wish I had taken another month or so to get a bit better. Mind you I had zero support at work, I was just supposed to be back to normal.
    Having said all of that, I did manage, although some days I went to work then came home and went back to bed!