Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rolled over

So this is my first post. Had sciatic pain for a few weeks so went to chiro. Had three adjustments : one Thursday then Friday then next Monday. Felt better and pain was gone for the next ten days. Then in the mid of the night I shifted to the right a couple inches and Bam!! Lightening down my leg and took my breath away. I assume this was the herniation. In state of worry and wanting to fix it I went right back to the chiro who said he could help. He did an adjustment and said to stay off my feet for a couple days and Ice. Not sure if I had the numbness and weakness before or after that adjustment. I went back to work two days later still with sciatic pain And weakness. Gave it two weeks and went to back surgeon. Did a nerve root injection which did nothing. Had an MRI which showed herniation at l4 l5. Tried pain meds anti inflammatories and steroid pack which did nothing. Went to another spine doc who said I was candidate for surgery. Got a micro lumbar discotemy on may 19. Recovery going well. Been doing physical therapy twice a week, starting the third week postop. I don't know if it was necessary to get surgery but I chose it based on the MRI, not wanting to risk further nerve damage, tired of being limited by my condition and wanting a solution. I know many others go a whole lot longer than my eight weeks and then decide surgery. My reasoning was that the surgeon was highly recommended at a highly recommended facility and I trusted he knew what he was doing and had my best interest in mind (as well as another surgery and payday to go with it).
I still have sciatic pain with certain motions and understand the often used "it might take a while" for it to go away. I am frustrated that the surgery did not resolve that issue and dabble with thoughts that it didn't work and I made the "wrong" decision or rushed it or should have tried some other things first. For me the biggest challenge is staying focused on a speedy recovery and tryin not to dwell on what I should could or would have done differently to avoid this whole experience in the first place. I find talking to people that have dealt with this makes it a smoother and easier process. I would be happy to hear others opinions and how they have dealt with the limiting nature of back injuries. Ok that's it for now.

• lulusheartllulusheart Posts: 4,273
    edited 06/22/2012 - 3:50 PM
    hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.there is no need for you to second guess yourself anymore!! you have had your surgery and are now on your way to a wonderful recovery!! good luck to you!! i am sure some of the little things still bothering you will go away with time!! i had my surgery under much different circumstances.. i was in a wheelchair by the time i had my surgery the pain had made me so ill. i had been in a battle for over 10 years to try and get surgery.. anyway, be sure and keep us informed of your progress!! think positive and be easy on yourself!! good luck! Jenny
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 06/23/2012 - 4:56 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health.

Recovery from any spine surgery is a long process and it's true that the nerves take a while to heal. Especially with a micro procedure, there's always a chance of reherniation, but you're still so early in recovery that you just have to wait and see how your recovery goes.

I know that it gets frustrating waiting to feel better, but when I had my lumbar surgery, things got worse before they got better. Your body and nerves are mad at you right now for the invasion but will hopefully settle down sooner rather than later. Try to measure your recovery in weeks, not days, as it's a slow process.

Take care and let us help you along the way. We understand what you're going through.
  • tghtgh Posts: 6
    edited 06/26/2012 - 9:55 PM
    Post removed by The Spine-Health Moderator Team