Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here I am, one year post op today. Last year at this time I was in the hospital and couldn't get any IV pain meds because my IV came out. They got it back in but not until about midnight (a couple hours later). I was up the entire night. They say recovery from cervical spine fusion surgery is about a year, and even though I don't regret having the surgery and I do consider my self in a better state than I was a year ago, its like I traded an old pain for a new with hints of the old. Maybe I would have had both now if I didn't have the surgery but who knows. So happy anniversary to my neck, and hopefully it will keep getting better.

Thanks to everyone here who has supported me along the way...

Time for night meds and time for bed!

((hugs)) to all.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 06/24/2012 - 3:52 AM

I wish you more improvement in your symptoms.
    Remind me what levels you had fused?

Hope you are sleeping well. xx
  • I had c4-5 fused. Just one level.

• Your comment "they say recovery from cervical fusion surgery takes about a year"......what takes a year? What did you find took a year? I am almost 3 months out and still have some symptoms.....
    ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012
  • Congratulations on making it this far! Only time will tell if we will all continue to improve. Wishing you continued improvements and healing. Stay positive! Gentle hugs back to you.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    edited 06/25/2012 - 4:33 PM
    Donna, I know that the initial time after surgery, things never look so bright. But in time, as you have stated, things do pass and there is a brighter side.

I am glad that in whatever way this site has been there for you, it has helped.....

And its always so good to see folks like yourself, giving back and helping others.

I am so happy for you Donna, and thank you for being here and helping others.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Im a week late lol, but congrats, by now you would have been home. I relate totally to your story, I wish though I could stay as positive, because I found the outcome of my neck surgery made me worse. But keep smiling. :D
  • i'm 9 months out from a 2 level ACDF. (c4-6) and what you wrote describes how i feel perfectly. Its better, its not perfect, i seem to have traded one pain for another, but this one is more tolerable, so i guess i can't complain.

now to get to the same point with the PLIF i had 5 days ago. LOL
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • Thanks everyone! I wish you all well! Tran92- wow I am not going to go under the knife for a while!

• Wow........haven't been here in a while as life has been busy.

Anyway, it's good to see that you're doing okay. It can take a while!
    Others do not always have such good fortune :-)