Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New tingling and pain after microdiscectomy

THXTTHX Posts: 1
I had a severe L5-S1 herniation back in December 2011 and had a microdiscectomy in February 2012 to repair it. I've been recovering well with just the normal amount of pain and tingling I read about from the nerves healing in just a few areas after the surgery, mainly tingling and pain in my left heel and tightness in my left calf.

However, this past Monday, I was standing and turned and walked and my left leg went numb. It then started tingling. I now have numbness behind my knee, in parts of my hamstring and around my ankle, which are all areas I had numbness before the operation. Up until Monday, I really haven't had any issues with these areas since the surgery. I also seem to have more pain in my hamstring and heel and tingling in my toes on my left foot. The pain isn't as severe as it was before the surgery, but it's definitely more pronounced than it has been the since the surgery.

Is this something I should be concerned about four months post-op? I just started a new job, so I really don't know if I can get the time off to go see my doctor, get sent for an MRI if necessary, and then go back to get the results of the MRI. I'm hoping this is just a bump in the road and nothing serious, but I wanted to get some info from people who've been through this. Thanks!

• DNiceDDNice Posts: 1,962
    edited 06/24/2012 - 4:21 PM
    Hey there,

have you tried ice or anti-inflammatories? It sounds like new job could be increased activity (even if it just sitting at an office desk) which could be inflaming the area. I try very hard to drink a lot of water so I have to get up and walk to restroom. I also try to watch my posture, etc. I could just be change of 'lifestyle' (which would be anything including new job) could be causing it.

But if the numbness doesn't go away, I don't see any hard in saying you need to see the doctor. Plan it now in advance so you can get a 1st or last appt of the day to try to miss as little work as possible. At least you have the appointment in case it gets worse.

I know it's tough with a new job but they don't need to know why, you tell them I have a doctor's appointment that you are rescheduling but need to go....ask them when is a good day/time, then book it.
  • I had a microdiscectomy 8 days ago. Everything was good. Leg pain was gone and then a few days after surgery my right foot and calf is getting weaker and number. Now it's from my knee down to my toes. I have a cool tingling sensation and I am waiting for the doctor to call back to see if this is normal. I use to be able to lift myself up on my toes and now I can't even lift my self up at all. I really hope this is just inflamation.
  • The tingling/ numbness sensations that you describe could be caused by sciatica (compression of the sciatic nerve). I have heard that disc herniation can trigger this. Sure how the pain dies down for you soon. Good luck!
  • Something similar has happened to me. What was your outcome?  How long did it last and what was the rest of your recovery like??? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.