Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bath care after scs

Hi I am having the trial Friday , any points on how to keep hair clean or anything you all can tell me would be helpful..

• I was told that u can use what is called DRY SHAMPOO. My doc didn't let me take a shallow bath with my perm until like 4-5 days and it was only allowed to b shallow like you would give a baby. But the hot water felt soooooooo good. I know the dry shampoo u can purchase at WalMart i believe here in Ohio we went to a Sally's beauty supplies. If you have any more ?'s PM me if you would like.
  • I will look for the dry shampoo , I cant stand my hair dirty because it gets so oily , I had called the salon and asked them if they could wash it like every other day but not sure if I would be allow to lay back in a salon chair...The other parts will be simple lol..Is the trial hard ? Im scared to death..
  • Hi
    I have had my permanent done on the 6/6/12 in my trial I was told to not get the site wet. As mine had a waterproof bandaged on it I was still not allowed to shower, I had bird baths and boy was I glad when all that trial was over but I was still unable to shower for a few days after the final surgery.

I could not wait I can tell you.

I am not sure if your surgeon has mentioned it to you but the pain I personally experienced of the site of the battery was terrible and as at today I still struggle occasionally, and my battery site sticks out yuk !
  • Sorry forgot to mention I washed my hair over my laundry sink which was allowed, so
    Long as your sink is up high and you are not bending or reaching
  • Shew sounds terrible , but I sure hope its worth the pain to get rid of some pain! I guess I need to know how far I can bend etc
  • I have a sprayer in my shower might be able to manage , how much can you bend? I am so scared I will do something wrong ..
  • kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
    edited 06/28/2012 - 2:10 PM
    And asked my hubby for help, which was great! I have a step-up ladder that I use to get up into the high cabinets and I actually knelt on the high step so I only had to bend at my neck. It's a pain but well worth it if you have a good trial. Be SURE and ask for the belt clip holder! They forgot to give me mine and for a day I had to deal with the controller and nowhere to put it!
  • I cant really bend anyway as I am fused from L4 down, but once the stimuator was in it did limit the upper body bending.

I am 3 weeks now, the battery site is still sore but getting better. Its still swollen and where the stimulator was done, its getting tighter where that is because the muscles are starting to relax a bit more. But I can also feel and see the wire when I move a certain way.
    But in saying all of this, I no longer have the leg spasms and only getting very small break through pain. I am still on my nerve medication and after seeing the surgeon yesterday he has advised that its all baby steps. Fun.
    I also had the stimulator re-programmed yesterday and found out at this time its not going to get my lower back. I am so F#@$$%^% off over this. But its early days I suppose.

HOw are you going?
  • I chickened out lol ! I went and saw my doctor yesterday and he left it up to me I really want it but got scared!! So now I have to re schedule..
  • yeah..i got an infection from the try shampoo. So i would suggest keeping it dry, and when it is time to air it out then do so. I covered mine back up when i when to bed or wore a T-shirt to prevent any other infections. First 2-3 weeks showers but i had a trash bag with medical tape to prevent it from getting wet. Then when i was told i could take showers i was told to let the shampoo from my hair run over my staples and to rise really good.
  • My partner sat on a plastic chair in the shower and I would give her a sponge bath and wash her hair with her leaning forward slightly, we normally took the control pack off and were very careful not to get the wires wet.

It was a pain for her and not much fun but it was better than the alternative of not being able to wash properly.