Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question for those that have had cervical fusion.....

TwinMamaTTwinMama Posts: 2
edited 06/26/2012 - 2:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My fiance is having his surgery on Thursday, we've gone back and forth about getting him a recliner for his recovery. He decided he didn't want to spend the money but I thought I'd ask those that have been in this situation if it was really a life saver? I have had less invasive surgery before and would have loved to have a recliner to sleep in because my pillow fortress in bed just didn't cut it. So - in your opinion, is it worth the money? I'm tempted to just rent a nice big coushy leather one for a few months so we have it should he need it?

• A recliner was a neccesity to me. My surgery was May 10th, and last night is the first night that I managed to sleep in my bed all night.
  • Hmm, a recliner?
    I do know this. I COULD NOT sleep laying down for about a week. I slept basically sitting upright the first few nights, then I slept kind of propped up on the couch half sitting/laying.
    That first week, the toughest thing was sleeping.
    I don't know if a recliner would have helped or not.
    Good luck to you two!
  • I had a multi-level cervical, and I was really glad that I had a recliner in our family room and a recliner in our bedroom. I didn't use it that long to sleep in at night, but the recliner was perfect for during the day. Both recliners were tall enough that they could support my head whether sitting up or reclining. Most of the time during the day I would be reclining part-way, which others try to duplicate on a couch with being propped up by a number of pillows.

For me, I am a fan of recliners! Best of luck to both of you.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I am glad I had the recliner after both surgeries (lumbar laminectomy & ACDF C5-C7). I don't know what I would have done without it, as it made getting up to walk (etc) and sleeping much more comfortable than trying to fight with the couch or bed laying down.

Best of luck!

View my history for all the gory details.