Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

please someone help me with info on SCS

I am due to have my trial this Friday and I have been reading about side effects this can have on you, can anyone please give me some feedback on the trial ??/

• The best side effect is pain relief. The worst thing will be carrying around the equipment during the trial. It's like a right of passage into the world of stimulators. What are your fears?

• I geuss I read all the negitive things like being paralyzed or more nerve damage I read where one person couldnt breath, Im just really scared ..
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 06/26/2012 - 1:35 PM
    Complications like that are very rare. The leads are thread up on the outside of the spinal cord. Take a deep breath and good luck on your trial.

• RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 06/26/2012 - 11:43 PM
    Don't worry it will be fine. Its going to be like your getting two epidurals. There will be a place where when placing the leads that will hurt more but its a short time and goes away. When the sells rep programs it make sure you feel it in the areas that you have pain. Its very important that you feel it where the pain is or it will not work. If you understand how it works they can give you two or three programs to change from and then keep track of what program works best for you. Idont know what brand you are getting but mine with a 16lead wire has about 44 million combinations to zero in on a area. I hear a lot of negative stuff on SCS but mine saved my life. I was at the end of my rope. This will be interesting for you and take a while to get use to it also. Follow all instructions so you do not pull a lead loose and keep t clean and dry. You have a open hole to your spine keep it all clean.
  • Sorry I had some written and lost it Well good luck I think you will love it and hate to give it up after the test.
    One last thing don't even ask to ride the pony. LOL
  • Thank you all so much for helping me get over my fears ! I always think the worst is going to happen when it involves a medical procedure I sure do hope it helps , I will give you a update when its over!
  • I am here to say my spinal cord is compressed enough for my doctor to have been worried but I have now had my SCS for a month and am glad to have my life back. As far as the complications go I honestly believe that they are related to ppl who don't do as told when the doc tells them what they can't and can do. As far as paralysis I had better than a 50% chance of that happening and because I believed in my doc and knew he would do his best I came out fine. As with the nerve damage again believe it has to do with the patient and the doc. If you have fears talk to ur doc and ur rep they will b able to explain things to the point where u can breath easy and relax cuz that is what u need to do is RELAX. Gentle hugs and welcome to the hopefully beginning of ur new and better life.
    edited 06/28/2012 - 3:09 AM
    I have wanted for so long to feel alive again and not just trying to make it through each day, I struggled all day yesterday trying to make a choice ..This morning I came in to work crying because the pain is so bad and trying to keep this job is killing me..I made my choice this morning say a prayer and suck it up and do it , cant get much worse than this and who knows it might work! I think what worried me the most was my doctor told me the only thing that concerned him was my stenosis and trying to get the wires in ..I do apreciate the support everyone here gives , sometimes we need a gentle nudge to go the right way..I lost all my friends after my accident and have no one , I think sometimes they are afraid or just dont know what to say ..
  • kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
    edited 06/28/2012 - 2:23 PM
    I also was reluctant but I made it through a 6 day trial and was sad to give up my unit in the end. Yes, it's uncomfortable and yes, you have to follow lots of rules. But every night I started without my scs off and around 2 or 3 I turned mine back on. Then lo and behold, when I got up in the morning I could stand right up without the terrible pain I have when my feet first hit the floor! I will keep you in prayers. This is a tough choice and a challenging therapy but for many people, this has been a life-changer. I hope it will be for you! God bless and I am praying that you are surrounded by His healing. Kathy
  • I think I told you on another post not sure cant remember much sometimes brain fog!! I canceled mine got to reshedule I scared myself to the point of bucking up like a old mule haha , I went yesterday and he reasurred me that its my choice he is only trying to help, I know what you mean about getting out of bed its awful! I am so stiff and sore I sometimes sit and just cry when I do try to get up and think is this my life now?? And wonder what it will be like in a few more years ..I really apreciate the support it has helped me to not be scared so I am going for it!
  • EricEEric Posts: 89
    edited 07/05/2012 - 6:54 AM
    I got my SCS done in 2008 and i have already read that they have made many improvements now to ensure the leads to not more around. I have had no problems or negative side affects from my SCS and in addition to my Pain Pump it has been a blessing. The only one thing i would say is that you would have to revisit a day surgery every 5-7 years to have the battery replaced. I have my SCS on 24/7, the difference is i may turn the settings up when pain is bad and turn it back down when it is not but I NEVER turn it off. I recharge my battery every 3-4 days.
    My suggestion is learn about all the programing options. Once i understood all my option i used it to get maximum pain relief. Even if you leads move a little understanding the remote programing can assist you with coverage and avoid a appointment with your tech. Good Luck!