Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

28 y/o Male: 2 Months: Slowly getting worse. Herniated L1-S1

hutson797hhutson797 Posts: 35
edited 06/27/2012 - 9:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Good afternoon everyone. Probably like most here, I was in a desperate search to relieve my back pain. Just wanted to introduce myself, give you all the information I have, and get some helpful feedback.

I'm a 28 year old male, in great health (minus the back). Have a 20 degree curve of scoliosis. Up until April, I had no pain.
April-June, pain finally got bad enough, that I realized it was something serious. NOT a sore muscle.

Most likely culprits of the herniation:
-Moving my furniture up a flight of stairs
-Squats, military press, shrugs.
-Sitting for long periods (3+ hours)
-Had my back "cracked" by a chiropractor ( I will NEVER in my life do that again)

In obvious hindsight, I shouldn't have done these. But I had never had any issues in my life before.

Ok, so I was diagnosed with a herniated L1-S1 in early June. Each day the symptons linger or get worse. MUCH sciatic pain down my left leg into the toes. Shooting pain every once and a while. Guys, I'm DYIN' here. I can't friggin sit for more than 20 min without serious pain. I'm sure you can sympathize

Here is what I have done since then to try and remedy:
-Physical therapy:
-Cortisone shot
-Oral Steriods
-Daily stretching as recommended by therapist
-TENS machine to relax muscles
-Stopped ALL lifting that effects my back.
-Gentle Decompression with wedges underneath me with chiropractor
-Ice 3-4 times a day.
-No running.

NOTHING seems to relieve the pain. I know that this can take time. Maybe I am inpatient. But this stuff is ruining my life.

Why I'm really here. Lets see if anyone can relate...with this cycle!

I'm in pain>I go see someone>they give me a diagnosis >I start to worry>I stress>I get depressed> I think, oh man, I'm gonna be crippled!> I get REALLY desperate to relieve pain>I start to throw my life savings away at quick false fixes>I make a mistake (surgery) or sketchy chiropractors.

Done ranting. I'm a very determined person. But this is seriously bringing me down. Gotta stay positive, its hard.
Please, any encouragement would really really be appreciated. I could use it; ;)

Thanks guys! Pic below

• Hey Brent, welcome. Sorry to hear of the pain. I too deal with a herniated l5-s1 along many other things. Did your mri report rule out the Herniation leading to nerve root impingement? That usually is the cause of sciatica sadly and it sucks i feel for ya bud. There is a ton of great threads on this very thing. Hope it gets better soon.

I try to stay positive, some days just kick me down.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.i think you need to slow down and take it easy on yourself a little bit!! i don't quite understand if you have had surgery or not and if i was you i would be very careful seeing chiro's!!!! they can often hurt more back conditions than help them!! . hang around the fourm for awhile and see what more you can find about your condition.. good luck to you! stop by anytime!! Jenny
  • Hi--
    I know if I could go back a few years in life, I would:

be kinder to myself and my body. *expected a quick fix- always overcame injuries in sports quickly*
    *not go back to 'normal' life when I had a pain free day* really bad of me!!! Oh, how
    I wish I knew then..... what I was doing to myself by pushing it too much~!

I have learned so much from this site and people on it. truly a support system.
    I have learned .. patience! (patients NEED patience). lol.
    I have learned there is no quick fix. For me, it is a new way of life, and if it is meant to work, it will take work.
    I have learned to be grateful for simple things..instead of wanting more. Materialistic things dont' matter.
    I have learned it is a journey.. and nobody wants to be on it.. but those who are have to keep positive. It is easy to type.. hard to do some days for sure.
    I have learned to be my own advocate.. and found my voice. :)
    So.. dont' let your mind go off on it's own tangent.. cause it sure can for me! Causing more anxiety than it was worth.. (going in for new therapies etc.. )
    Music is very powerful for me-- throw the cd on and close my eyes. I can dance then.. in my head.. and still kinda experience it all. It makes me happy, not sad. It is a future goal.. to dance in carefree abandon again.. one day. For now, I will dance in my head.
  • hernerherner Posts: 12
    edited 06/29/2012 - 4:58 AM
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team