Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physical exercise and DDD - How much is too much??

As the title says I've DDD and love keeping active. It's taken me a year to get my back built up again after finding out I'd 2 disc prolapses in L4-L5. My question is am I doing too much sport? Each week I would do one class of spinning, yogalates, circuit training and pilates. I also do road cycling - doing maybe 20-30 miles on a normal cycle 2-3 times a week. I know myself if I sit and do nothing my back gets very stiff. I also am very careful when doing exercise and hold my posture correctly and rest if am too sore. Any advice appreciated?

• Cathy,

1st of all--congrats for staying active. Not easy.

I think only you can be the judge of whether that's too much. That all seems minimal impact, so my guess is you're ok.

My only word of advice with all that spinning and cycling is to make sure you are doing plenty of hamstring work in the gym.

Cyclers tend to have much stronger quads and calves and you don't want a comparative imbalance in the hamstrings with DDD!!!
  • Damn I wish I could go to the gym again, went from being able to lift 260lbs with my back to no more than 5-10 lol
  • I used to run 50 miles a week, gym, road bike blah blah... after blowing out my L5 S1 disc and having ddd(I won't bore you with the list) I feel the same as you. What can I do and how much?? It's really a fine line I'm finding and fear of my other two discs going is always on my mind. I wish I had an answer for you as well. If you figure it out let me know :)
This discussion has been closed.