Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

At long last, I got my surgery date for 2-level ACDF

8/6/12, probably the first surgery in the morning. I am so relieved. I feels as though I have been waiting for this date for months. However, I made the decision to have surgery in May and have been trying alternatives up to the last uncomfortable round of trigger point injections last week. It's not that I want to have to go through this but I am so looking forward to getting my surgery over with and moving into the post op recovery period. Recovery is not what I'm doing now. I'm going in the opposite direction.

My pre op is 7/23/12. I am hoping to be healthy by then. I have an active lung infection and one of the organisms that grew out was a staph bacterium. Fortunately they ruled out MRSA. The Infectious Disease doc said I should be fine by the end of the 10-day course of antibiotics I have started. I have other medical issues and a compromised immune system. To help strengthen my system, I'll get a 24-hour blood transfusion the week of the 16 th of July.

I suppose time will fly now but I hope not. I've got too much to do. Thank you all and this site for the information, help, and feedback I've gotten. I'm so lucky to have found this site.

Catherine :-D
3 PLIFs (L2-5): 2003, 2005, 2008
2-level ACDF (C5-7) scheduled for 8/6/12
PLIF L1-3 6/13
ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08

• Hi Catherine :)
    Congrats on getting your surgical date! Which levels are you having done? I'm scheduled for C4-7 (3 level) ACDF on 7/11/12 (my neurosurgeons only scheduled surgery for the day!), and am a little scared about it, but also really looking forward to having it done so we can move on to my lumbar (the source of the majority of the pain - funny that serious spinal cord compression doesn't hurt as much as a couple of angry facets lol)

I hope your lung infection clears and that your immune system plays nice so that you're cleared for surgery! Would love to follow your progress & hear updates on how you're doing! :)
    Slipped on a wet stair case the morning of 10/31/11, landed flat on my tush & blew up my spine & both SI joints.
    3 level ACDF C4-C7 7/11/12 (collapsed discs & severe cord compression)
    lumbar fusion to be scheduled once healed from ACDF
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 07/02/2012 - 4:20 AM
    Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I have my 1 level c6/c7 acdf set for 7/16/12. I pray that your surgery goes without a hitch and that your recovery is a speedy one. Keep us updated.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    Hi, Islandstylist,

Your surgery is coming up so soon! I wish you all the best in your prep, smooth sailing during your surgery, and a stunningly good post op recovery. You'll have to keep us posted on how things are going as the date gets closer.

Thank you for your good wishes on my behalf. I am now taking care of some pre-surgery medical/dental issues and beginning to make lists. I have a skin infection the dermatologist will have cultured this week. I'm also getting measurements taken for the crown that sits on top of my implant, a process that will end 5 days before my surgery. It's been ongoing since Nov 2012. I've read that issues like these need to be taken care of before my surgery.

I'm already getting anxious to have the surgery over with (gulp)'

Hugs to you,
    2-level ACDF (C5-7) 8/6/12
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08
  • kabema3kkabema3 Posts: 6
    edited 07/03/2012 - 4:22 PM
    Hello Islandstylist!

Noticed you are scheduled for 7/16/12 and wanted to wish you the best of luck! I am 3-weeks post op ACDF c6/c7 and doing FABULOUS! Please let me know if there are any questions or fears you have --- I was a mess prior to my procedure....actually in tears telling my spinal surgeon I couldn't go through with it. So, so glad I had such a great doctor who listened to my concerns and took the time to talk me through options (of which shots weren't one --- was losing strength in my right arm/possible nerve damage). So, feel free to ask away as I'm happy to share any information about my experience that might help you with yours!

Best of luck!

• Wow! So happy that your surgery was so successful! Nice for me to hear before my big day too. I am quite nervous about being put to sleep but I know I cant live like this. I am glad you had a great doctor, I think that is key, I have a great one too so I will trust that he knows what hes doing. Lol! Thanks for your help. Did you have hardware with your surgery? They said Im getting it.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• Yep, I'm plated, caged and secured with 4 screws. Had my 2-week followup last week and the x-ray showed all the hardware. All looks good so far according to my doctor.

I know you are scared and completely understand. A natural reaction is anxiety -- I was telling the anesthesiologist to please please please give me something to make me forget the whole thing --- I think it's called Percocet or something. Once they start the drip (or whatever it is) you'll go right to sleep (which is blissful after the pre-op instructions of no food, water, anything for 12 hours prior!) :) Try to remember you are having this done in 2012 not even 1990....and the advances in medicine even since then are a marvel. I think you will be amazed at how easily you will get through this - I know I am!
  • KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 07/05/2012 - 2:39 PM
    It's hard to believe that my cervical surgery was 14 months ago! Going into the surgery - yes, the anesthesiologist is your friend...putting you into la la land. I also took advantage of the "magical button" that I awoke with that self-administered pain meds (to a max amount per hour or whatever). It was impressive how recovery progressed over time.

I am another person who had to address cervical before addressing lumbar. I am unfortunately having less success with the lumbar - oh, well.

Good luck to all of you with your upcoming surgeries.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    Are you going through testing, alternative treatments, scheduling or recovering from surgery? You are welcome to this thread of double dippers. I'm sorry that you qualify for admission. I know I've read some of your other posts. Apologies if you're having to duplicate posts.

The staph infection in my lungs is responding to the antibiotic so I should be cleared for surgery there. My dentist will pop a crown on top of my implant 5 days before surgery. I found out that I should be able to do stairs post ACDF, which helps w/my post op planning. All-in-all, 8/6/12 should be doable.

2-level ACDF (C5-7) scheduled for 8/6/12
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08
  • I hope that your surgery goes to plan and that your pain will be well controlled and you will soon move onto the recovery and before long, will be telling us that you are so glad that you had surgery.

I am waiting for the results of testing to rule out MS before I schedule my 2 level ACDF (C3/4 and C4/5).
    I'll be following your recovery and watching out for tips on how to handle it.

It is definately a good idea to get things like dental work done before your surgery.
    I did that before my lumbar fusion in March 2010.
    Stairs should be ok after your surgery. I could manage them a couple of days after my lumbar fusion and I've been told that after a cervical fusion I will be much more mobile.

• I was also very worried about being put to sleep for my lumbar fusion. It was fine. The anaesthetist put in the IV, which I hardly felt, and then said that I would feel it getting warm (I think that is what she said) and then I would go all wuzzy. I didn't feel any warmth, but did start to go wuzzy and the ceiling went blurred and the next I knew was waking up in recovery with a nurse talking to me and telling me it was all over.

I don't feel nearly so worried now about my ACDF.

To be on the recovery side of the surgery is such a relief. Then you know that you are on the way to getting back on with your life. :o)

• Hi Catherine,

Here it is, already August 1, 2012. I cannot believe it - somebody must have pushed a button on the calendar and speeded things up. Your surgery is scheduled for next Monday and please know that I will be thinking of you and wishing you a healing surgery and a speedy recovery. You have really been through the mill what with lung infections, a compromised immune system, blood transfusions - the whole nine yards. I'm beginning to think that, in comparison with your situation, mine is like a walk in th park.

I'm still, however, trying to find someone who has had a surgery like the one I'm going to have on Augut 31st (fusions from T-9 all the way down through the lumbar veterbras to the ilium). I didn't even know I had problems with any of the thorasic veterbras. I just wonder how much range of motion I'll have and when I will be able to walk. I've already been told that it will take me a year to recover, but that there is no guarantee that I would be pain-free (which I kind of already guessed anyway).

Anyway, Catherine, I just wanted to touch base with you and all the August surgery buddies and wish you all the best come next Monday.

• kamgramkkamgram Posts: 483
    edited 08/01/2012 - 4:50 PM
    Hey, just wanted to tell yall that when I went in for microdiscectomy at Duke which is 400 miles from home I was terrified. JUst me and hubby that far from home and kids where at home scared:( This was surgery number 4 but first on thoracic and knowing they are so rare that my NS would not operate scared the beejeezus out of me. I told the surgeon, anethesiologist, nurses, check in and whoever else would listen that I needed something to calm me down as I sat there bawling. Needless to say the medication they gave me completely took my memory of what happened before surgery away..I remember getting to the hospital and I remember being rolled into my room after and that is it. Even things that happened for hours afterwards are still fuzzy. I am sorry but I can't remember what it was called...lol..but just tell them to give you something so you dont remember:) Good luck with surgeries and I will pray for each and everyone of you:)

• I am also scheduled for my two level ACDF on 8/21 and pretesting this Monday 8/13/12 . Im terrified but sick of not healing and this same old gnawing stabbing sharp pain that is worsening to the point where meds don't help. I've done all the conservative treatment since my car accident in early February. I'm ready for some level of relief. I've been blessed to speak to a patient who just had the same procedure by my Nuerosurgeon and she has been very encouraging, cause frankly, the posts I've been reading here and elsewhere scare me to death.