Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery this friday

Three level c4-c7 acdf set for July 6. I've been waiting to do this since symptoms started in March. I am very nervous about it. Ive had surgery before on my arm but this is different. I am a police officer and will be out for awhile. Also, the week my symptoms started was the week i moved out of the house to give my wife of 22 years a "break" as she said she needed it. I'm still at my parents, waiting for her to hopefully get herself to a point to ask me back home. It has all together been such a terrible mental strain on me. I never thought i could feel so confused and scared about everything. I thought many times about cancelling the surgery. I have two levels of cord compression. I am not in much pain but the ns says one punch to the kneck and I could be paralyzed. So, I'm going to do it. I just hope I can take being at home with my parents. They love me and have been very kind to me but I really want to be down the road with my wife and kids. I guess I just have to have faith that all will workout. I have put a recliner in my room so I hope that helps me. I just have not done well with the loneliness so far and i think it is about to get much worse.

• Best of luck to ya. You have 3 levels of stress against ya. The wife, the back/neck and being a police officer alone is enough to send you over the top. I have 3 friends who are cops and wouldnt want their jobs for anything. I'm a low back spiney but know that surgeons for obvious reasons take a higher priortiy on necks than low backs. I mean really, you pick issue from your neck down or your waste down. Retorical question:)
    Anyway other than knowing one neck surgery friend, they seem to go well. I certainly hope this will be the case with you
    Weight room accident at 18. Had compression fracture and was paralyzed for month until ruptured spinal column healed. At 37 did all the epidurals/blocks. At 38 had two level open lami and Discectomy. At 39 (Sept 2012) had two level ALIF L4-S1 fusion.
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 66
    with your surgery. It may not feel like it, given all the stuff going on, but your decision to move ahead sounds courageous. I live alone and have a 2-level ACDF coming up on 8/6/12. You're getting your situation taken care of much more quickly than I, which improves the amount of function and pain relief you are likely to get.

It's very difficult to feel so isolated and alone. I hope you will continue to post about how you are feeling and what you are doing up to the day of your surgery. You are not alone here. People have gone through tough stuff and can empathize. You allow us to support you. I will be watching for future posts.

Right now I recommend just doing the next necessary thing and not looking beyond your surgery.

2-level ACDF (C5-7) scheduled for 8/6/12
    3 PLIFs (L2-5): 2003, 2005, 2008
    PLIF L1-3 6/13
    ACDF (C5-7) 8/12
    PLIF (L2-5) 2003/05/08
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 07/02/2012 - 4:28 AM
    Best of luck on your upcoming surgery. I too have surgery coming up in less than 2 weeks and am quite nervous about it but I know I need to get on with my life as you do too. I will be having 1 level c6/c7 acdf on 7/16/12. I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope everything at home gets resolved too. Thats tough but Im sure that will get better. Keep us posted and good luck.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• well tomorrow is the day. wife is taking me. maybe ill get lucky and get everything fixed in my life at once. thanks for the comments. i'll let you know what happens.
  • Wishing you all the best today, soon you will be on the other side. One thing out of the way, and on to the good part... Recovery.

Hope that everything works out for you with your wife, great that you also have the support of your parents. We are always here for you if you need to talk, you are never 'alone'

Look forward to hearing how you are doing, when you are able.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • SwedishFishSSwedishFish Posts: 57
    edited 07/06/2012 - 5:29 PM
    Hoping that all went well today! Please update us when you can.

And I hear you on the triple whammy of stress - it's hard. I had work issues, a separation (and sadly divorce) and then medical issues that all happened around the same time and stress is the last thing when you need physical healing! I'm glad that your wife is taking you to the surgery, hoping that's a good sign for things to come! I am a high school teacher but I work at a magnet school and our 2 main focuses are law enforcement and EMS so I know how stressful being a cop can be! Kuddos to you for that the work you do for your community.

I'm not having a fusion but next Thurs I'm having a posterior laminectomy/foraminotomy at C5, 6 and 7. I too am getting anxious as the date approaches. Thoughts are with you!
  • well, i can say that it wasnt what i expected. so far it has not been all that difficult. three level acdf with hardware, used synthetic cage and filled with cells drawn from my hip. i used the morphine a few time the first day to see what it would do. then went the whole night without any pain meds. threw up once from the ginger ale they gave me, i couldnt burp, guess it was from the throat swelling. Dr. said it went great, no problems. i havent felt any of the old pains. the second and third days were the worst with soreness. i took the percocet and flexoril as prescrbed. after day four i havent taken anything at all, not even tylenol. my suture is good. i am wearing a hard collar for two weeks. he said i could wear the soft if i wanted, it just doesnt feel good to me. i slept in my bed the first night home and then in the recliner for a couple of nights. now im back in the bed. i just have to mess around and get the pillow level right and im good. the collar made me really sore for about four or five days and now that has finally gone. the place on my hip hurt pretty good for a few days. i was able to eat anything i wanted within about 12 hours. i actually had roast beef and potatoes for lunch. i feel right now i am fortunate. i know not to get overconfident. i have to go back fighting bad guys sometime. had alot of constipation but finally got rid of that. i will say that so far it has been far above my expectations with this surgery.
  • ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
    edited 07/13/2012 - 2:50 AM
    So glad to hear that you are doing so well post op. Sounds like your pain levels are really coming down and great to hear that it is surgery pain, and not the "old" pain.

Take it easy, and all the best with the rest of your recovery.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I am so happy that your surgery went better than your expectations. I was really happy to read this 3 days before I have my ACDF done this Monday. I wish you continued ease with your recovery and that you get back to your old life as soon as possible.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.