Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, just want to introduce myself. Cervical herniations and bone spurs.

Hello, I am 42 years old. I am two years out after an acdf at c5-6. When I had this surgery I had other cervical issues, but 5-6 was the most in need of correcting. Herniations that moderately impinged bilateralyl and "mass effect on cord".
At the time I was also diagnosed with bone spur at c2-3 that was also bilaterally effecting nerve roots, mildly,
c3-4 mildly effected due to bone spur,
C4-5 disc herniation moderately effecting right, mild on right, and was abutting the cord, 5-6 as above,
c6-7 bone spur, mildly effecting nerve roots bilaterally. This was 2010

Went to urgent care in march due to chest pain. I thought for sure I was having heart attack. I also had not been able to lift my head up due to it causing severe pain adorn right arm on inner side. The pain was so bad I went to ED, which I never do because of the stigma, but I truly thought I would loose my mind from the pain. Both in my arm and chest. The chest Spain was not as bad as arm, later I would find out how bad that could and would get.

After getting some very strong meds, I was able to hold my head up for 20 min for and MRI. Everything above much worse, c4-5 massively effecting cord, Need more surgery, but am desperately trying to get thru summer. C2-3 and c6-7 giving me the most distress. C4-5, well to be honest, I think it is what is causing my legs issues and bowel and bladder retention, due to the spinal cord.

As far as function, I do ok. The muscle and skin on right shoulder is totally numb, basically had what would be considered third degree burn on it and no feeling, even as it heals, or I would pick at it, no feeling at all. (yeah I know shouldn't be picking at it).
Right Thumb and index finger am unable to feel hot temperatures in. But my left arm is considerable weaker and my thumb and index finger very weak. Typical pains for areas with issues.

I am still working but to be honest sometimes find it very difficult, but I have always been a workaholics, of course now I am unable to do the overtime I used to do. Am starting to slow down.
Overall I am healthy enough.

The cervical angina is he most distressing to me at present, because I truly feels as if I am having a heart attack.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
Just wanted to give everyone some information.

• Hey welcome to Spine Health. So you have been through the wringer and are trying to survive it from the way it sounds. My hat is off to you for hanging in there and still working despite all your issues. Have you consulted with a surgeon yet to see what the risk is to yourself letting things go through the summer? There are things that cannot be made better by surgery, only kept from getting worse, and it would be a travesty if you did more permanent damage to yourself by trying to hang on a few more months.

Keep us posted and don't forget that we have to take care of ourselves in order to be there to take care of others.

• Welcome to Spine Health. The people here are pretty helpful just listening and relating to what you're going through. It seems like you are handling things about as well as could be hoped.Who are you seeing/what kind of doctor, and what do they recommend to help?

Ditto what "C" says.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I see a neurosurgeon, the dr that did my acdf at 5-6 has moved to another state (to be closer to his children) he is a wonderful surgeon and I had a good relationship with him. He put me at ease, I have followed up with his partners and they are well respected surgeons. But you know how it is when you find a dr that you trust it is hard.
    Anyway that isn't what you ask, me making a short story long, lol.
    It is recommended that I have acdf c4-5 to 6-7 (5-6) is already done. Then to remove the posterior section of vertebrae off of c2-3 and possibly 3-4
    Last time we were very conservative and within two years everything has worsened dramatically. So this time the intent is to fix it.
    To be honest I am procrastinating because the surgery seems slot more intense to me and I'm afraid about whether I'll be able to work or not.
    My symptoms are intense at point and are just about pushing me to my breaking point.