Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PM. Dr. visit

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
I had my monthly pm. appoint. Wed.
I had run my tolerance to hydrocodone up to high. And asked Doc. to try something else. So he went to Oxycontin. That took a high dosage also 40mg. HLC x 4 a day. I wasn't to thrilled with taking that drug to begin with. But I told him I found that it made me very tired and wasn't that good at pain control. And seemed to suck all of the life out of me. I've always been a "backwards med guy" And he knows that.
I asked if there was something else we could use. And told him when I was in the recovery hospital. That Dr. had me on something that worked and I could tolerate. But that I wasn't sure what it was, Dilaudid, I think. He said we would give that a try and he would start me out on a low dose. Then go from there.
The pharmacy had to order it in. so I won't be able to access it till Tues. When it comes in.
If this new cocktail doesn't work. I'm asking for a pain pump. It only takes a small amount of drugs, and they don't go through you system. So save the Brain and the organs.
Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Jim,
    So many times, its a trial and error event. For my surgeries in the local hospital, it was almost always a Percocet type of pain control. Down in NYC for my shoulders, it was dilaudid. With my shoulder surgery it was oxycodone.

Over the years I have had so many different narcotic pain medications. Today, I can not take anything in the VIcodain family of drugs which is a hydrocodone and goes under the various names of Anexsia, Co-Gesic, Hycet, Liquicet, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, Lortab, Maxidone, Norco, Polygesic, Stagesic, Vicodin, Xodol, Zamicet, Zolvit, Zydone. Any of these medications will wind up getting me sick to my stomach.

I know have been using Oxycodone and Opana for many years (and in between times, it was the Oxycotin or the Opana ER med) Oxycodone hydrochloride tablets, USP is an opioid analgesic.
    The brand names for these are Dazidox, OxyContin, Oxyfast, OxyIR, Percolone, Roxicodone, Roxicodone Intensol, M-Oxy, ETH-Oxydose, Endocodone.

These I can tolerate and I am on a very low dosage 5mg PRN (max 4 pills a day)

So Jim, it might just be a trial and error situation with you. I know its important to have a medication that can mask your
    pain, but at the same time leave you in 'complete' control of yourself.

Isnt there some bark off a tree that we can chew on to get rid of the pain. I was on a nature hike one time with my daughter and the guide was showing us all the plants and herbs and tree bark that is good for us. He gave me one to help reduce inflammation and help with my arthritis, didnt help too much, but the bark tasting like .....
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I hope the Dilaudid helps. I was just introduced to the Fentanyl patch as my PM Dr. recommended and it's 50mcg/hr and find the pain relief better than the Oxy was for me. For some reason I'm able to tolerate the patch better than all the pills. I hope you have something to cover you over the weekend. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    This pharmacy gets there shipments on Tues. I asked her to call one of the other pharmacy's in that chain and I would take the scrip to them. For the second time.....she looked at me like I was a drug addict...and said, I told you it would be here on Tues. Well I was blind sided by that and the look on her face. And I was speechless!
    But that won't happen again! I'll be ready for her next time.
    I just switched to this pharmacy out of convenience's. And this happened at my other pharmacy. I was fuming, I called her over to my side of the counter and read her the riot act! In front of all of her co workers and the owner who went to school with my wife.
    The story is very long, so let's just say, that never happened to me again. and in 1 mo. she no longer worked there.
    I'm VERY TOCHY ABOUT HAVING TO TAKE DRUGS! And I don't put up with any crap more than once!
    I think I might be having a little withdrawal symptom.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • MelWMMelW Posts: 427
    edited 07/03/2012 - 7:29 AM
    Good for you Jim!!! I feel the same as you and to be treated that way is intolerable! It is bad enough that we have to take these types of strong pain meds just to get through each and every day, let alone someone treating us with a lack of respect because of it.

I sure hope this new med helps relieve some of your pain.

Hope you have a blessed and reduced-pain Independence Day :-)
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.