Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MUST know how long my down time will be for implant! PLS advise!

Just found out my dear sweet hub has fairly early stage prostate cancer. He has some "wiggle room" before he has to decide how he wants to approach it but now I really need to know what to expect in terms of limitations after my implant which is scheduled for July 30th. I don't want to delay my procedure because I REALLY have to get better, now, so I can "be there" for my Dale when he needs me. I won't make a good nurse as it stands because of my back pain. Also, I've gotten through the insurance approval process and I don't want to try my luck again as I just recently turned 60 (who knows what this crazy health care law will do to those of us who are "old")!!!! So I don't plan on delaying my procedure. Just preparing for it!

Can any of you tell me how long it is suggested that office work/house-cleaning/driving/grocery shopping type activities have to be avoided, realistically? I'll need to arrange some extra help if it overlaps hub's as yet unknown treatment plan.

Thanks for your help. Kathy

• chaglandcchagland Posts: 88
    edited 07/03/2012 - 4:31 AM
    It varies from person to person but the no BLT restrictions are from 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery. I found that since I have learned over the years to compensate for my spine issues, that finding ways to compensate and work around the no BLT restrictions wasn't too difficult. The first couple of weeks is where all the post surgery pain and issues are, after that most of us start to feel so much better that we have to watch that we don't over do things.

• Hi Kathy,
    I don't mean to pry, and you don't need to answer, but how old is your husband. I have read some studies where early detection of prostrate cancer and treating it causes more harm then good. For that reason they are concidering cancelling the blood test that can detect it. I am not minimizing the diagnosis, I am a cancer survivor, however from what I have read age and severity can make a huge difference in how this is treated.
  • Yes, I know that in some cases that is true but his will definitely have to be treated-that's why I am trying to determine my "down" time.
  • Sorry about your husband, Kathy. I'm kind of an old hand at implants, as I've had two spinal cord stimulators implanted, electrodes replaced, and an occipetal nerve stimulator. Basically, it all comes down to a your wounds healing. For the first two or three days I felt pretty lousy. After that I was up to taking care of myself OK. My staples were in for a couple of weeks and I definitely couldn't do any cleaning or heavy chores until they were out. After that I could handle normal household light chores. For more detail ask your pain doc. Mine had an instruction sheet specifying how long I should wait to do certain things. I'm sure it's fairly standard. Realistically, after the staples are out you will feel pretty much OK, though you still have to avoid any heavy lifting or serious exercise for some time. Good luck with everything.
  • So here's what I have gleaned from your responses and what I've read -

1) I usually enjoy doing my own housecleaning - gives me a break from working at our business 1 day a week.
    Sounds like I need to hire some help for the first 4 to 6 weeks.

2) Since my husband and I work as a team at our business, I think I may have to arrange to work from the house (thank
    God for Go To My Pc!) for at least 4 to 5 days? Any comments on this? My job envolves running the office of a pest,
    termite and lawn company and since I am an owner, I can leave when I want BUT I don't want to dump too much on my

3) I probably should have grocery shopping/cooking planned for a couple of weeks in advance and in the freezer prior to this? Or do you think that is
    overkill? Since my poor hub has had to have sooooo many diagnostic tests lately, I hate to put too much on him.

Final comment - I love working with my husband. We do very well together. But the biggest downside is that I know when I am "out" then he has to take on twice as much. In this yucky economy (locally we are at nearly a 20 percent unemployment) we just can't afford much extra office help. Plus, at 60 and 64, our insurance and deductibles are UNBELIEVABLE. I could buy a beautiful home for what we pay just in premiums.

Thanks for your input and please, if any of you have extra advice, LAY IT ON! ;) Kathy

PS. Certainly this is a small procedure compared to the spine fusion surgery I had this several years ago. But my tendency is to try to do too much. "A" personality over-achiever etc, etc. So I am trying very hard to anticipate some of the bumps in the road.
  • Six weeks of no bending, lifting or twisting. mine was cervical and this last time, she made me wear the Aspen collar 24/7, except for when I was in the shower. It is so easy to pull something loose before the scar tissue has time to form. By that sixth week, I was ready to go. I was allowed to drive after one week.
    My daughter and husband spoiled me and just told me to cool it and not try to cook, clean, etc and that was probably wise. I did start walking again after about 3 days and was up to 2 miles/day within 5 days after surgery. Walking is a good thing and the doctor had no problem with me doing that.
  • I was put on restrictions for 16 weeks. The doctor who did my implant didn't trust that I would be good.