Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Urinary / bowel issues related to back pain?

• They can still run another uro study to see if it is a nerve issue, since they have resolved the other issues. It is more than serious when one develops issues with bladder or bowels as it is called caudal equine which needs to treated on a emergency case. With that said only your doctors can decide if your back is causing the issues, with further testing. You need to let them know about the issues, and go from there. I know in my case I am a self cather, and try using time voiding to help with the bladder retention. I don't have kids so they know the only way it is happening is off my spine. Like I said they will need to do additional testing, to figure out what is going on in your situation.
  • Hi, I came across your post and I am wondering if my bladder and bowel issues could be related to my surgery. I had T7i-T8 discectomy on May 24 and noticed the past few weeks that I have had trouble with not really knowing I had to urinate until too late. I also will just feel leakage when I don't have any urge to have to . I also had an accident the other days with my bowels. Was just watching tv and felt warmth and then realized to my horror it was my bowels not urine. I was so stunned. I called my surgeon and NP said I needed to be seen and if I had any numbness just go to ER...Have not had any more issues with bowels since and no numbness so not sure if this was just something gastro or what????
  • I have a herniated disc and another bulging disk caused from an injury. Right after my accident I began having issues with both my bladder and my bowels. Sometimes I would have to push hard to urinate and a few times I would stand up and urinate on the spot. I don't have that happen too much now but have bowel issues with not being able to feel it like before my accident and I have to push hard like when I had my kids to actually go. This is all the time. I have one doctor saying it's sacral nerve damage and another saying it's not. My stool is soft so that's not the problem. It worries me that my back injury has caused this issue.
  • I was diagnosed and treated for overactive bladder. I needed to pee all the time and there was some... leakage. I have no idea if it is caused by problems in my spine.
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 05/30/2014 - 4:14 AM
    I am almost two weeks out of surgery on the bladder and currently wearing a temporary urine bag {yuk} via a supra pubic catheter .around this time last year I had a fright thinking I had bowel cancer and when through 12 months or fear and worry I have since been diagnosed with mesenteric lymphadenopathy [query crohn's disease }the pain from the bowel and visceral area was unbelievable .even the oxtcontin did not make a dent in the pain .thankfully that's under control the problem with the bladder ...hopefully .....is now under control ...{I should find out next wed} ..but I never had problems apart from an incident re bowel way back in 1985 again this ways self limiting and sorted itself out after about a year .but with all the pain meds and lack of exercise it's no wonder some of us have bowel and bladder problems ..I would advise ANYONE to seek medical advice should they have any issues with bowel and or bladder ..both ...if treated early have an excellent prognosis ..GUYS DONT BE SHY RED FLAG SIGNS ...BLOOD/PAIN LUMPS..ABNORMAL STOOL ABNORMAL SMELLY URINE AND ERECTILE PROBLEMS CAN BE SPINE RELATED ..IF ITS NOT NORMAL FOR YOU GET HELP ..IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE .I have mentioned men particularly as they tend to be too embarrassed about seeing a doctor for anything in the trouser area women normally have more sense !! .but bowel and bladder problems can start or exacerbate an underlying condition if you have a spinal operation or damage your spine ,
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I've been having those same issues quite a bit lately myself. I have an appointment next week so I'll mention it then. I've had quite a few accidents, even woke up like that. I swear, I haven't felt like that since I was a kid, wetting the bed like that. And I've been "leaking" at the other end too).

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 05/30/2014 - 5:43 AM
    You don't want to wind up like I did......It is no picnic
This discussion has been closed.