Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck problems and treadmill?

I have a bulging 5 and 6 vertebrae in my neck....can i use a treadmill for exercise?

• DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
    edited 07/03/2012 - 6:08 PM
    Have you talked to your doctor about this? If you can walk you can use a treadmill. You probably shouldn't run because the pounding will make things worse.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • In addition to lumbar problems I have worse c-3 thru c-6 problems. Prior PM doc and Physical Therapist told me about 1.5 years ago to stop using my treadmill even with good shoes and at a slow speed. I had already acquired a stationary recumbent bike, they liked this and said use it more. I still walk 2 to 3 miles daily in decent weather, just only on a soft surface (mostly beach sand), with good shoes and no faster than 3.0mph.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    edited 07/04/2012 - 6:11 PM
    you need to discuss it with your doctor and get approval. What might work and is good for one person could be dangerous for another person.

Always discuss any type of exercise with your doctor before starting in.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • We cannot tell you whether you should do this or not....Please ask your Dr...

I know for me...I do lots of walking because I have a dog...And I prefer to walk outside to enjoy the view.:) But I do not run as it's just way too hard on my neck/spine...

• chaglandcchagland Posts: 88
    edited 07/05/2012 - 7:00 PM
    Not to sound like a broken record, but consulting with your doc is the wisest thing to do.

That being said, I have both cervical and lumbar issues and I log many many miles a month on our treadmill. The neurosurgeon told me a concern with using treadmills is belt slippage and jarring, especially with the cheaper models. We invested in a commercial grade treadmill and it is a solid beast. Walking on the treadmill I have to be aware that the higher the incline, the more strain I will place on my neck and shoulders. I also have to focus on standing up straight and not leaning on or holding on to the rails. Were it not for having a treadmill and a stationary bike, I would be really out of shape and in far greater pain on a daily basis.