Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Constant neck pain after accident

I had a disc replaced at C5-6 back in 2007. I really haven't had much pain with it until an accident this past April which put me in the hospital for several days.
I had CAT scans done of my face and neck in the trauma unit and the MD said my neck looked fine.
However it's been over 2 months now and I'm having constant neck pain and headaches which I rarely experience.
I expected some soreness ( I went face first into a Steele railing), but most everything is healed up except the pain in the neck.
I'm also having extreme pain in my right hand when trying to open jars and just picking thing up. Especially severe when I handle cold items.
Does this merit an MRI? Or is results from the CT scan good enough?
Should I go back to my spine surgeon?

• If you are getting pain in the hand and sensitivity to temperature, I would get the MRI done. An MRI is best if you suspect there's disc issues. It's best to catch these things early so you can manage it conservatively without things getting worse. Good luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi TWHlady -
    If you're still in touch with the spine docs you worked with previously you may want to contact them, or make an appt with a spine group to discuss your concerns (you may need to speak with/see your primary care doc first). I would insist on an MRI - I had an accident in October 2011 with lots of damage to my spine, but even though I had spinal cord symptoms (the dropsies & hand pain started soon after the accident, the numbness started a few months later), my doctor only ordered an EMG, and when that came back clear, they told me there was nothing wrong with my neck & refused to rx an MRI. Luckily a very skilled PA for my neurosurgeon spotted the signs & sent me for an MRI which showed bulges on all cervical discs, anterior tears, and severe spinal cord compression from C4-7. Had they not caught it, I would have been paralyzed from the neck down during intubation for the lumbar fusion (and even without the lumbar fusion, the compression is so bad that my NS told me there was a 100% chance that without ACDF to correct I would be paralyzed in the next few years).

What I've learned is that we know our bodies better than anyone else, regardless of how highly trained they are - if you are experiencing extreme pain that wasn't present before, or any other symptoms that could indicate a serious problem, insist on that MRI. If you're wrong, fine, no harm done. But if you're right, they may be able to take corrective measures before the problem progresses or becomes permanent.

Let us know what happens!
    Slipped on a wet stair case the morning of 10/31/11, landed flat on my tush & blew up my spine & both SI joints.
    3 level ACDF C4-C7 7/11/12 (collapsed discs & severe cord compression)
    lumbar fusion to be scheduled once healed from ACDF
  • I was in an accident a couple of yrs back and after a while everything seemed fine except for a little nagging pain around the neck/shoulders. No amount of painkillers were helping and I lost track of the no. of tests they did on me, saying that there could be an internal injury. As a last resort I went to a chiropractor. I had only read about them but never really believed that they could be what people say they are. Believe me it really works.
  • did the doctors say anything about whiplash??? that would give you pain in your neck and headaches. did you have myleopathy before you had your neck surgery,is it possible that its gotten worse again because of the accident? i was in an accident while my neck was still healing from surgery and i had awful neck pain and horrible headaches. I also have pain now in my arms and hands that is myleopathy that was getting better but then after the car accident it did a 360 on me.