Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4mm osteophyte and/or bone spur

SoberbabeSSoberbabe Posts: 5
I was wondering if anybody had surgery and found out that they had sciatica from osteophyte and or bone spur. Have had this sciatica now for a year, done all the conservative treatments, am now at pain management going on 7 months, have had 3 injections. First one worked really well. Meanwhile, I had a hysterectomy in March, which we thought might be the culprit. I had a grapefruit size fibroid next to a 3 month if I was pregnant uterus full of fibroids. Well, I came out of surgery with my sciatica screaming at 10 ++. Had to wait 4 more weeks for an injection. Can i say MISERY! So, it just so happens I have two things going on at the same time. Lucky me! So after the last injection which they went into the facet joint? It didn't do anything. I have made an appointment to see surgeon. I have an MRI that says 4 mm osteophyte/disc complex which mildly impinges S1 nerve root. I try to stay positive but some days are hard. Being on medication is getting old, it just helps me get thru the day.One good thing is that after hysterectomy i lost 20 lbs and am at my appropriate weight for my age. Yeh! Anybody have any successful stories that are similar?

• I just had a fusion done at l5-s1 9 days ago. part of the reason was a large bone spur pressing right into the nerve. it was probably a good half inch long according to my ct scan. for whatever its worth, my insurance company tried to deny the surgery saying that i only needed a microdisecomty/laminectomy. well, my surgeon looked at the ct scan and saw this huge osetophyte and said there was no way a laminectomy would be enough. they'd never be able to remove the bone spur through such a small opening. this was also my 3rd surgery at l5-s1. i had to microdisectomies done with partial laminectomies in 2010. the disc kept re-herniating. but the spurs added to the problem in the last year and i was getting constant low back pain. my sciatica actually hasn't been that bad for the last 6 months, but the back pain was the trade off.

right now, my sciatica is back in some weird pattern. i've got pain in my rt. hip, rt. heel, the right side of my foot, and some in the right side of my calf. its weird, and rotates, but any surgery done near that nerve has caused weird things post surgery, so i'm not freaking out right now. just hoping it will get better over time. my second surgery, i woke up with total numbness down the entire back of my leg from the butt to the foot. it came back slowly over the next bunch of weeks.

in my case, between the herniation which was obliterating the nerve root, and the osteophyte that was pressing into it, its a miracle i have any function in that nerve at all right now. my docs (and i've had 2 different surgeons) have both said the nerve was in bad shape when they did the assorted surgeries. i've got confirmed nerve damage in that nerve from multuple EMG's as well. hopefully now that i have nothing pressing on it, it will finally get better.

Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • Tran, sounds familiar. I had a microd in 2011 and had pain on and off since then, but about a month ago i started having stronger and more frequent pain in rt leg and rt foot. MRI showed spurs in the area of the microd. I go see the Dr. next week to talk about treatement options. Did anything work for you?
  • i had a fusion last june. it was the only way to get rid of the bone spurs. doc said they were in a place where to get to them, he had to remove part of the lamina, and that would leave my spine unstable, so the fusion had to be done. i can say things are better since the surgery, although i won't say they're great. i still get some sciatica, low back pain, hip pain. its all there, but at a lesser degree. i had a bad flair again in december, wound up back on daily NSAIDs. not thrilled about being back on meds daily again, but they are helping right now.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012