Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 nerve pain made so much worse by PMS thru menses.. Having a Total Hysterectomy !!

Praying that after having a total hysterectomy (ovaries too) next month that l5 S1 nerve pain will improve . Every month starting with PMS and thru my menses my low back pain and leg pain goes from a 3-4 up to a 9-10. I usually only have about 9-10 good days a month. I am 45 yo and so tired of not living life!!

Has anyone else had the same problem? And did having a hysterectomy help???

• I have similar symptoms -- not so severe as you, but I often see a worsening of my L5-S1 pain when I'm premenstrual. I once had an epidural steroid injection immediately followed by a severe round of PMS, and the shot did absolutely nothing to help. The one immediately prior to that helped, and the one following it helped. I asked the physician if the PMS would have lowered the efficacy of the shot. He said he had never considered it (ah, male physicians!), but it seemed possible.

I've often noticed that my body gets more sensitive when I'm premenstrual -- injuries heal slower or are more severe, painful mouth sores, etc. So why shouldn't nerve irritation be worse?

There are a lot of things going on in your endocrine system, and I wouldn't be surprised if the increased prostaglandins are responsible for the increased pain. They cause inflammation, among other things. I'm not sure if a hysterectomy will help, as some parts of the cycle involve other tissues. But if it improves your overall health and pain levels, that will surely be beneficial to the back pain!

Best of luck!
  • I have bulges at t11-12, l4-l5 and l5-s1 and spinal stenosis...I too have extreme and excruciating pain for about two weeks out of the month. I was just Googling pms and disc problems and this popped up. The past few days have been torture, not only with pms but we also have a low pressure system moving through the area which is making the pain even worse. Usually I can take my meds and fin a comfortable position to sit or lay...but dang! Nothing is helping. Tried midol, heat, ice, stretching...everything I can think of. Not sure what to do!