Trying again here but putting it in a different format, hoping I get some feed back. I'm in tears about no feedback so far on this forum that was highly suggested to me for help and support by my surgeon.
I have been given this diagnosis, for an urgent surgery:
transforaminal posterior lumbar interbody fusion, laminectomy L5S1
I am currently experiencing:
I have pain in my left hip, tightening of the butt muscles to cramping pain. The pain shoots down my ham string as if it's pulled. The left side of lower leg always feels as if it's so cold it's on ice. The foot is either numb or tingling but always has the feeling that I'm stepping on a hard round piece of steel at my arch and that I tied my shoes too tight across the top (even barefoot lying down). The pain has begun to hit my right hip and down the hamstring. Also my neck has become a pencil thin piece of equipment holding up a thousand pound head.
I was prescribed 8 PT appts, where I used 3 before it was determined I was in too much pain to continue and along with my Workers Comp Doctor, and my Spine Specialist Doctor, they agreed to order an epidural cortisone shot.
Reqests for MRI, MRI's accomplished, coincided with my Epidural request approved. As I handed in my MRI Discs, my epidural appt was made.
My MRI consult, coincided with my epidural coritsone shot procedure. I had progressed so quickly, even from my MRI, that he was sending me to a surgeon consult. He did go ahead with the shot to see if it gave me any relief, along with medications, until my actual surgery.
The Epidural Cortisone shot occurred, June 20th, 2012, so far in the left side for my pain, but was told that with my condition it probably was not going to be the solution, even if it helped a bit. It helped tremendously with the consistent left hip pain, the left hamstring and calf cramps, during the daytime and eased it enough for sleep during the night pain.
Current medication is 3000mg of Gabapentin nightly. 1-2 pills of Hydrocod 10/325mg as needed for pain. Not to exceed 4-6 times in a 24 hour time span.
Nothing seems to be working long term....I considered a full day with manageable pain long term, now I'm at 3-4 hours, a great day. Some days bring unmanageable pain down my leg, some include my "heavy head, thin neck", some times it includes my right hip and hamstring, some times my low back constant deep ache, sometimes all of the above.
My current symptoms began approximately 2 months ago and began with the hip, ham string, calf cramps for about a week or 2 and so I ignored it thinking I must have done something odd and pulled something. When my leg began to feel like it woke up after "falling asleep" I became concerned and called the Dr. who referred me to my case worker for my back. The speed of which my pain increased has been quite scary.
I'm blessed with a good case worker who is expediting things quickly. I'm blessed with great doctors. I'm blessed that I work for my brother, in an office environment and he has constantly turned his schedule around for my doctor visits and pain management (back room, laying down with an ice pack, to sometimes just going home).
I am in full fear mode at the same time with the speed of the processes. I looked my surgeon and Dr's and all have rec'd from 77%-higher ratings depending on the sites. I disregarded to the factor bar, waiting in wait room, bedside manner etc to the ratings given for the actual services. I hear they are well respected in their fields, created cutting edge surgery procedures, etc. Yet I feel like I should get a 2nd opinion as that is something that everyone tells you, that you should do. in asking my processor regarding the request for consult to actual surgery recommendation (different than surgery done), what was the ratio, and this surgeon was given a 50%, even lower for urgent. In that respect I feel comfortable.
Finally getting to my support needs from this forum:
Has anyone been given an urgent request for surgery of the type mentioned: transforaminal posterior lumbar interbody fusion, laminectomy L5S1 with the included diagnosis that it's unstable which is why it's urgent?
Did you get a second opinion even if you trusted the fact that you had the best doctor?
Did it appear to help? When did you begin to feel the signs that it did help or signs that it didn't and you went back to see why?
My EMG is now a go, the site I would go to, does them Friday afternoons. I'm assuming the 13th is the first time I would get in. Which means the surgery could be on the books shortly thereafter....that in itself, just typing it, creates my stomach to turn. I could use some feedback.