Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Undiagnosed Nerve Pain in the Legs

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had or is experiencing a similar situation of undiagnosed nerve pain in both legs?

I experience burning in my hamstrings which radiates down the back of my thighs, tingling in my feet, sharp stabbing pains in my hips and hamstrings, muscle spasms throughout the entire leg and feet, muscle twitching -especially in my toes and feet, extreme leg muscle tightness- that lasts for about four days with a flare up, and muscle cramping in my feet, calves, and thighs. I remember going on the exercise bike one day and feeling a cool sensation in my thigh like a bunch of icy veins were squeezing the muscle in when I tried to pedal. It felt bizzare and I decided to stop and contact a doctor.

My symptoms worsen with "too much" activity, though my definition of "too much" is hardly any at all. I may have a good period for a while where I very slowly build up my muscles and am able to do yoga and walk around, but then, all of a sudden, I'll do a bit more than usual, and BAM. Back to not being able to walk around again without extreme leg muscle tightness and pain for about four days . Then I have to very slowly add in walking, and often have repeated leg flare ups where I am unable to return to my previous state and can hardly move around. It's almost like something is restricting my movement. I have been experiencing these symptoms for five years. It began with extreme leg antzyness-almost to the point of pain- in high school, which, at first could be relieved with exercise, but is now worsened with it.

Currently, I have had a MRI on my spine, nerve conduction testing, vascular testing, all of which have not shown any issues. I am just waiting for an MRI on my pelvis/ hamstrings. I never thought I'd ever wish to find something wrong, but in this case, I hope to so that I can try to treat the problem and attempt to get on with my life.

Sound familiar to anyone? Please feel free to give me a shout!

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 07/10/2012 - 4:54 PM
    Sorry, I haven't had symptoms quite like yours. I do have pain down the side of my leg and sometimes get cramping in various areas if I move wrong. My symptoms also increase if I move or do "too much". It looks like you are having some good tests to see what is going on. Let us know how you're doing.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I have been trying out a new therapy - active release technique (ART) for a few weeks now and it seems to be helping. I've been able to walk around for the first time in months! It has been wonderful!

I am not sure how ART is helping (i.e. what it's treating) but my nerve pain is nearly non-existent. I still get stiffness/ burning in my muscles, but I believe that is from delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) , due to not being used to the movement.

I am trying to add walking in very slowly, but am having issues with DOMS from time to time. Anyone have any advice as to how to rebuild muscles after hardly moving for months? I am thinking of using a pedometer to help me track this.

• Hi biobabe131,
    It sounds like nerve irritation like I have with cold leg muscle spasms twitching and foot drop although mine is from L5/S1, I had surgery which helped but the cold leg and drop foot remains with fewer cramps,I do hope your MRI finds the cause,I take Baclofen for the muscle spasms this helps without giving me side effects.I would say if they find nothing go for a second opinion,many on this site have been told no problems found like me then a different consultant finds the cause,often people are told they are too young to have surgery and they do not like to take things any further so send you on your way.keep at them,hopefully it is just an inflamed nerve that can be sorted with medication.All the best Des
  • Hi Des,

Thank-you for your reply and advise!

My doctors have given me Baclofen, as well, though I am not sure how much it does for me.

So far, ART has been immensely helpful, so I think I will keep on with that and see how things go.

Thanks again!