Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

out of options.. is cannibus worth the risk?

I have been in pain for 3 years now due to DDD and the 2 lower lumbar disks herinated. I have exhausted all options, surgons, PM, chiro, GP doctors, PT, and so many meds I can't even begin to list them.
I live in the mid atlantic area and doctors are not accepting pain paintents anymore and my GP who was handleing them has fianlly bailed. In addtion for some reason he will not refer me to Johns Hopkins Pain Clinic. I have never tried cannibus and according to Maryland law they do not press charges for medical use.

I currently take 10/500 hydrocodone as it is the only thing that I can take. I have blood tests scheduled for next week for liver tests and given I average 3 grams a day of acetominophen over 3 years that is more reason to stop the hydrocodone. I have a few days left then it's out. I am rationing it to reduce the withdrawl syptoms.

Does anyone know if cannibus helps and is worth the risk or any information it would be welocome.

Ron: I now this might be outside the bounds of this site if so please accept my apoligies and deleate.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    He actually said to me during a rough recovery, " Im not saying to use marijuana but it is said to help with pain". My primary doctor took care of my pain meds after discussing this with him.lol.
  • said that it is an option and wanted to know if I wanted to try it. He said that he had a couple of patients that it provided relief. Many others though ended up switching back to other meds. He said that there is also a pill form similiar to cannibus. I did not try it.
    Hope that your blood tests turn out okay. What really concerns me is that you can't get in to a pain clinic and now your doctor has bailed on you for pain meds. Is there any other doctor that you could switch to? It is so unfair that doctor's can just stop helping chronic pain patients like that...very scary. I hope that you are able to get some help and pain relief.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Unless it is legal in your state and you have a legal prescription for it (Card or pill prescription) then I would never risk getting into trouble for the little bit of pain relief it provides. It is much more effective for things like nausea as my cousin who was dying of AIDS would use this to help.

If you find a new Dr. and they drug test you and find this in your system, then it will be YOU that is left holding the bag...LOL...Literally!

And for you to say, "Uhh..my last Dr. said I should try it"......and there is nothing on record legally, then you will have a black mark on your medical records for failing a drug test with illegal substances.

I also wouldn't bet on the statement of "The cops won't charge for usage".....Again...why take the chance? I certainly wouldn't under any circumstances.

I would just continue to look for other Drs. that you can see. I'm not sure where you are getting the information that no Drs. in the Mid Atlantic region are not accepting new patients? This is just not true...I live in that area.

So, there are hundreds of Pain Mgmt. Drs. within this area that you can call and ask if they provide a "Comprehensive treatment plan"....This is more code for using medication in their treatment instead of asking out loud if they provide narcotics which you never want to ask.

Obviously it's your choice...but for me, I would never do something that can risk my medical treatment in the future.

• That the DEA has had a sting operation in effect for over 2 years now. As a result no doctor will risk prescribing them. There are commercial PM clinics that are very large and coroporate owned that will not accept tough cases or risky cases. The 2 local hospitals have PM clinics but only accept 65 and over and cancer paitients.

Thanks for the information.
  • I did not find it to be helpful but I know plenty of people that it helped very much. I think it is worth a try.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Is your pain muscular or nerve?
    There is a difference and if you can decide which it is, maybe both, there may be treatments available. Nerve pain is the hardest to treat, as only a small bit of pressure can cause it.
    Inflammation is a likely cause, so you could look at ways to reduce inflammation.
    If the spinal problems are pressing on a nerve, surgery can remove the offending bits and stop that from happening.

If it is muscular, and this is probably what it is, there are several things that you can do to get your body healthier and able to cope.
    The body has wonderful recovery ability, but you need to help it a bit.

Your overall body condition and fitness will be a big factor. Walking each day is a good start. If it hurts too much stop, and try again later. But persevere. Muscle need activity to be healthy. Sitting and lying around, however much you might think you have to, gradually make it all worse.
    Muscles and ligaments are often unrecognised as pain centres, but boy can they cause pain.
    They have to adjust to all sorts of spinal problems and let you keep doing what you do.
    Eventually they get tired and stressed, and start to give you warning pains. When they spasm, you will be stopped in your tracks!

Bedding is vitally important too. Get a new firm mattress with a softer overlay. If you are sleeping in a curved depression your back will be up all night trying to cope.

Remedial massage should help, though it won't cure.
    For my chronic muscle pains, I take magnesium chloride daily, and my muscles are now not painful at all. Had bad headaches for 25+ years from muscle tension. All gone.

Doctors, and patients, tend to look only at the hard bits, and forget to look at soft tissues that are quietly stressing away.
  • My Dr and I discussed it, and I did try it without a prescription. For me it did not help, however I had done it as a teenager and I never enjoyed it. Something to keep in mind is that there are many strains, and for people that MJ helps, they often find that certain strains help, and others not so much. I live in Canada, however I'm pretty sure that the drugs in both countries are virtually the same. There is a THC pill here, I don't know the name. A friend of mine who has a brain injury tried it, he found it too strong in comparison to smoking, but in pill form it maybe easier for some Dr's to Rx. When I see my friend again I will ask him what it is called.

In response to your question, is it worth it, I probably have a different view than a lot of people. Up here, at least in my experience, MJ is not treated like a serious drug. People that do not have large quantities, eg a couple of ounces, are not charged with a criminal offense. If I was facing a situation where I didn't have access to prescription drugs I would definiatley try it again, however I do think that this is a very personal decision. In reading US news, it seems that some states are loosening up, especially where it is for medical. What direction does your state seem to be heading in?
  • bluemoonshinebbluemoonshine Posts: 26
    edited 07/12/2012 - 12:12 AM
    It really helps me alot! dont know what i'd do without cannabis, i guess suffer.

If your looking to try it I would try atleast 4 different strains preferably with a higher% of indica than sativa and try edibles too. differnt strains can have very differnt effects.
    Indicas are what we all want for pain releif rather than sativas which can actually increase pain or make you feel the pain better sometimes.
    Theres a strain called SourBubble which is known to be one of the best medical strains for pain, they say it gives you waves of a warm and fuzzy feeling through your body, which they say is very good for musle spasms and all types of pain. Im growing it now, Im a MMJ patient in hawaii.

Oh and the THC pill is called marinol its prescibed to HIV patients to stimulate appeite. It does not work for pain.
  • PEDMMPPEDMM Posts: 39
    edited 07/12/2012 - 9:00 PM
    Are you really willing to risk as others have posted that you can lose the relationship you have with your doctors? ITs a hard decision, one that I Have also considered but I finaly decided not to try it, for personal reasons. IF there were more concrete evidence that it helps I think more doctors would be willing to prescrib and offer it to more patients,
  • Are you really willing to risk as others have posted that you can lose the relationship you have with your doctors? ITs a hard decision, one that I Have also considered but I finaly decided not to try it, for personal reasons. IF there were more concrete evidence that it helps I think more doctors would be willing to prescrib and offer it to more patiants,
  • MrGrouchMMrGrouch Posts: 108
    edited 07/14/2012 - 2:43 PM
    I was out of state and the pain got to the point of going to the ER. I knew from experience that this was a waste of time and money as many will not treat you, particularly when they do not have your records. I went to the local urgent care place and explained my situation and showed the doc my meds and pain log. He said the same thing as all the others, won't risk his license prescribing hydrocodone, but he did precribe tramdol. So far tramadol and 800mg of advil 3 times a day along with 10mg of valium 2 times a day seems to keep me sane. As far as the pain... it is nerve pain and yes it is inflamation triggered. NO doc will do anythng due to the low chance of success..

Thank all of you for the information it helps alot