Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion in 1 half weeks nervous

I can't believe time has gone so quick now I am counting down he days now, I go in on the 19th July for l5s1 fusion with laminectomy, I am so scared about it all. I don't understand why I am so nervous I have had so many surgerys in the past on different things but this one scares me, is the anyone else out there having surgery the same time as me x x

• i was putting this one off for a year and a half. (had a cervical fusion while i waited) and i too was really worried about this one. but thanks to my lovely insurance company denying the surgery until about 4 days prior to my date, i was so busy fighting them i didn't have time to actually think about the surgery. probably helped in the long run.

but seriously, i've been home a little over a week now. i don't move so quickly, or easily, but each day seems to get a little better. and i just keep reminding myself that i did this so i could get rid of the pain i had before the surgery. this pain right now is temporary.

you'll be fine. you'll feel better afterward. try to keep yourself busy now so you can't dwell on the surgery. it will be over before you know it and you can get on to the recovery stage.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • I had a lumbar fusion with decompression in March 2010 on L4/5.

I was so scared that I wouldn't have the surgery and waited over two years, refusing even to go and talk to the surgeon.
    Then the pain got so bad that I would be in tears almost daily. I eventually I submitted to just go and 'talk' with the surgeon. He looked at my MRI scan (Grade 2 spondylolisthesis which was falling forwards severely compressing my cord) and said that if I didn't have surgery I would end up in a wheelchair and eventually incontinent. The thought of that was even more scarery so I had the fusion with decompression just 3 weeks later.

Afterwards, things were not as bad as I had feared and I wished that I hadn't waited so long.
    I am now facing a 2 level fusion of my neck (not caused by the lumbar fusion!) and am not nearly so scared. Mind you, I don't have a date yet.

I wish you a successful surgery and will look out for posts from you to hear how you get on.
    This is a great place to come while you are recovering. You are bound to have difficult days, and there is a lot of support here from people who really understand how this feels.
    Good luck
  • You have every reason to nervous about your upcoming fusion. It is a major surgery, but it can change your life. I have had two fusions this year. I had L3-L5 fused. Unfornately now L5-S1 is herniated. On the other hand if you have confidence in your healthcare team, you should have nothing to worry about. Keep us updated. Everyday after your surgery you will get a little stronger. Remember to be patient.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.