Okay my forum friends, I am new and still learning and need to finish putting all my info in Bio. I need help in deciding what to do about this horrible pain I have been in for last 48 hours. I had discetomy, decompression and lamenectomy on May 24 2012 and have had complications and pain since the surgery at the T7-8 level. My MRIs have shown numerous other issues from C-1 to S-1 also. But the past 2 days the pain has been agony and hurts much worse than before surgery and even worse than the days following surgery. It is a sharp pain which hurts when I move, breathe, twist or bend. No amount of pain medication or muscle relaxer or nerve medication seems to even dull it at all. I started having increase in pain about a week ago and my Gabapentin was increased twice but no help. The surgeon is sending me for another MRI next week to see if I have reherniation. I was having pain on left side that wrapped around left side of ribs and chest pain under left ribcage. Well now am having pain on right side as well that wraps around and even my shoulders are painful. I am scared to go through another surgery if needed. It was all I could do to build up courage for this one. I have also had lamenectomy on L4-5 in 1994 and then again in Oct. 2008 and reherniation repair in Dec. 2008. When surgeon went in this time posteriorly he said he ran into problems when he found a tendon had wrapped itself around the spine and had to move to even perform surgery. He said in all his surgeries he had never seen this. Has anyone else had this or heard of it. I just would like to know what ya"lls thoughts are on repairing a reherniation. I have been on maximum dosage of Nucenta since surgery and was given Oxycodone for this pain but makes me so nauseous I have to take phenergan with it for breakthrough pain. Im existing in a foggy state:( Please help me understand some of the issues with thoracic spine as mine have always been lumbar but this is a totally different and worse pain for me:( Thanks for all you do with this forum...it help so much!!!!!!!
I had an MRI and blood work July 13 to check for reherniation and infection. I will not know anything until I go back to Duke July 18 and hope and pray that there is no reherniation. I will keep in touch and let you know what the results of tests are. Thank you for being here to listen to us and offer comfort and advice. It means alot to me.
I am sitting here looking over the written MRI report and it shows several post-surgical changes:( It appears that I may have inflammation and or infection at the T7-T8 level and may have a pedicle fracture at T8 and suggest a CT scan to correlate. I have been reading up about these issues and they scare the daylights out of me. I don't want to have to have any surgery to debride the wound or a PICC line for IV and scares me even worse to think there may not be anything that can be done. The pain has been at a level 8 all day today and sciatica in right leg has been terrible. My labs showed that my CRP is high as well as my Sed rate but WBC is normal but RBC is high???? The diagnostic center left a voicemail with surgeon on Friday the 13th to see if he wanted CT ordered but never heard from his office so have to make 4 hr. trip to Duke and may have to schedule a CT for later date. I know I should not complain because I read where some people have to wait months for tests and appts.and at most I wait weeks but when you are having severe pain any amount of waiting is torture.
Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow.
Love and hugs