Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Piriformis Syndrome question

CoryCCory Posts: 2

I am a 48 year old male. Since January of this year I have suffered from pain in the middle of my left buttocks. I also have tightness in my left lower back. I have had xrays viewed by Osteopeadic and Neuro. I do not have pain while I exercise, and I am able to function physically. I only have more pain in my buttocks after exercise or when I sit. I do not have pain that runs down my leg as I have seen described by others who have Pirifomis Syndrome.

I have always had an issue with standing or walking for any length of time, because my lower back would get tight; but like I said as long as I working hard and the blood is pumping through my system I have no pain while performing intense exercise. In August of last year, I strained/stretched/pulled my lower back. This has happened in the past, but never as severe as this particular time. It lead to back spasms in the middle of the night on a couple of occasions, and it took about 1 month to heal. I strained it again, but not as bad in June of this year. I can live with the back issue as it is not as painful, and I get relief when I am sitting or laying, but the buttocks pain is mainly there at all times, but is less when I am laying down. It also seems to flare up more after intense exercise.

Does anyone else have similar symptoms? Does this sound like Piriformis Syndrome?

Any response would be much appreciated.

• I have had piriformis for a decade. I do have tightness and very diffuse pain in my right buttock, but most of my pain is down the back of my leg, worst in my calf and down through outside of my ankle and foot. If your pain is strictly in your buttock, it may not be due to piriformis precisely, but could easily be due to some other nerve being compressed. There are so many to choose from. Good luck with getting this sorted out. If the pain gets bad enough to need regular use of pain meds, do get referred to a pain doctor. Some are useless, but good ones have a much better understanding of pain and its treatment than anyone else you see.
  • Hey thanks for the info MakInSF. Can I ask, do you find that you are very stiff/tight on your effected side? I find that for as long as I can remember I have been very stiff on my left side, and no amount of stretching seems to change that.