Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Comment from PT

7 weeks today(microdiscectomy at L5 S1) I was at my PT, he has me bend a bit moving etc feeling my spine and says that the lower part of my spine is acting like it was fused, that I have almost no motion at that spot. Is that common? Anyone ever hear that?
advertisement

Comments

• when i was talking to my surgeon about my fusion (l5-s1) i asked him how much range of motion i would lose. his answer was "none." i looked at him like he was crazy, but he went on to explain that i basically had no disc left at that level, so there was no range of motion to begin with. i still had the fusion done though since i was getting alot of pain in that area of my back. we'll see what i end up with once the feeling of being punched in the low back subsides. its only been 2 weeks since the surgery.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • I have to tell you, I have had a 100 plus PT sessions and I have never been told by a therapist that my back was fused. That is not a common comment that a PT should be making. An MRI could tell you that, but not a PT.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    I am not saying Physical Therapists are not knowledgeable. Those that know me, realize I have a great deal of respect for PTs

But your situation, that is something that should be discussed and reviewd with your surgeon.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think he meant the mobility in my lower spine isn't there anymore.. He knows I had a discectomy because I was seeing him before my surgery, but I see your point.
  • I'm a PT and all that means is he or she was assessing how you move from certain parts of your spine and you probably move more from higher segments because of the sugery and history you have. There is probably stiffness at that area or depending on your age, you may have some issues there that have caused a decrease in the segmental mobility there. It's not intended to be an alarming observation, just something we learn to look at with our spine pts. I had a microdiscectomy 11 wks ago and am just now starting to move more from my lower lumba segments bc for many weeks I had not tried flexing from my spine to follow precautions and it got stiff.
  • continued..the segments were not mobile from me compensating for so long but with therapy and exercise my segmental mobility is returning
  • PTpostmicro.. that is pretty much what I figured. He kind of sighed and I knew it meant that my mobility wasn't the same. I appreciate your answering my question so much! TY!
advertisement