Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New pain doctor

Todays the day I go to a new pain doctor. I am suppose to have the last 3 months medical records with me but imagine my surprise that my old pain doctor did not send them. I called my primary to see if they had any records from the pain clinic and they told me they have not received anything from the pain clinic since 2010! Am, I correct in assuming that all copies of procedures and test should be forwarded on to my PCP? I knew that they had lost my medical records but I assumed they had found them due to providing medical necessity for the pain pump. This new pain doctor may not see me due to no records .
All I can do is explain everything to her and hope for the best. Im a little worried because the paper work I was sent to fill out for todays appointment states if the medical records are not received the appointment will be canceled. There are no records! i have printed out copies of all my EOBS and received a print out from the pharmacy but I dont know if that will be enough. I pray she sees me because I never want to go back to the old pain management doctor again! Today should be interesting to say the least

• Hate that. Of course they were supposed to send reports to your PCP. I hope they see you. Fingers crossed. If they've had other patients come from the other clinic they may be used to missing records. I've had doctors require complete records that couldn't possibly be provided and never been turned away.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I met with the new pain doctor today and really liked her. Her opinion on the pump is that there are other things we need to try before going with the pump. She is starting with MRI of the complete spine, nerve testing done on arms and legs along with blood work. She changed my meds from Opana to Kadian 50 mgs 3 times a day. The problem with that is I just discovered my insurance policy has a exclusion for this medicine. So I have to call her and have to switch to something else. She is doing more in my first visit then my old pain clinic has done all year so I think I am really gonna like her. She wants answers about my current medical as do I.
  • MarkInSFMMarkInSF Posts: 9
    edited 07/11/2012 - 2:22 PM
    If you can somehow get them to pay for the Kadian it's worth it. I'm on Opana now, but have considered going back to Kadian because it had the best time release mechanism I've ever used. Much better than MSContin for me. I have fewer side effects with Opana but even taking it three times per day the dosing is very uneven. I'm not surprised your new doc wants to get to know you and try some ideas out before going to a pump. Good luck with all of it. Glad she saw you even without full records and that you like her. That is so important with someone you have to work with that closely. I really like the head of my pain clinic by not always his assistants. It's not fun being treated as a drug seeker by a fool who hasn't even skimmed my records, just because he doesn't understand my multiple diagnoses or has no experience with the meds I've been prescribed. Sounds like you might have a good one.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I was prescribed Opana 2x a day with 2 percocett as break-thru pain. I found for me the Opana only seemed to work about 4 hours. As for my insurance company allowing the Kadian, I doubt that is gonna happen. It is a exclusion along with MScotin. So I dont have a clue what my options are gonna be. I will have to place a call to the pain clinic today to see what my options are.
  • yes i remember those days...i was on opana er 3x day as well and oxycotin. Little to say this didn't last very long before they changed me to Fentyal. Fentryal 150 worked but it was not a long term solution. The final solution was the pain pump and it has been great!
  • can write up a medical necessity, sometimes they'll go with it. When I had the severe nerve pain in my legs after surgery, nothing worked for me but Lyrica. it was excluded by my insurance, but they paid for it when my surgeon wrote to them and told them it was the only thing that worked for me.

As far as your medical records go, I had a little trouble with another doctor's office for another procedure I had done. What ended up happening was that I called them and told them I was coming over the following day to pick up my records, so they had best have someone make a copy of them right now. They were waiting in an envelope when I arrived. They are YOUR records. They do have to give them to you. Most doc's offices are notoriously bad about forwarding them on.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • That is very good news Susan!! That's the kind of news I like to hear. I do hope she turns out to be everything you want and need her to be in a pain Doctor. I am so happy you got away from that other quack. That stupid idiot had me scared to death for you.
    Parsy W

This discussion has been closed.