Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got home today

Hi all came home this afternoon, woke up with a lot of pain wasn't given any strong pain medicine until post op nurse called dr, I didn't ask her she told dr the pain was written all over my face, gave me one shot of diluad. After I got into room was told all I could have was oxycodone, which doesn't work for me I was up all night in pain even with oxycodone every four hours. Was told by one of the docs they did not want to give me anything strong because I was going home next day. When I told the nurse he said he called pharmacy in hospital but they were out of Vicodin. Ten minutes later same dr came in and said they didn't want to give me anything strong because it would affect neurological test. I am also on other medications I take daily, they would not give me any of those. Saw two drs at 9 am and said I should be going home soon at one o'clock I had to practically beg for pain medicine and said I can't take oxycodone anymore. I got one more shot of diluad, my surgeon was in a different hospital so he sent two drs to check me out. When they asked what medication I was prescribed I told them Vicodin ES 4 x day and tramadol 50 mg 4 x a day. The discharge nurse gave me my instructions which stated take each med 1-2 every 6 hrs, I was so happy to go home I didn't check scripts. My wife got them filled for me and Vicodin is 5/500 4 x a day 30 pills, seven day supply, dosage and amount were cut, also tramadol is only for 7 days. I was told I would be getting phone call from surgeons nurse tomorrow. Every post I read here people had no trouble getting pain relief after surgery and did not get meds cut. Is it me or does this sound strange. Looks like another sleepless night as I am wearing a hard collar which makes it impossible to get comfortable. Joe
ACDF C5-6 July 10, 2012 with plate and screws.

• Forgot to mention the surgeon told my wife that the degeneration was worse then he thought and he had to use a drill, he was surprised it was that much worse from MRI from April . ACDF C5-6 with a drill.
  • islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
    edited 07/11/2012 - 1:28 PM
    So happy that you are on to recovery now. I am happy that you are through the surgery part of it. Now you can just settle into recovery mode.Was it what you expected?
    That really sucks that you were in so much pain, I feel for you. Did you have hardware Joe? How long did they say you would wear your hard collar for?

Too bad more pain meds weren't prescribed for you to bring home. Is that something you can discuss with the nurse when she calls you?

Hugs and congratulations Joe, I pray that the rest of recovery is smooth sailing.
    Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I never talked to surgeon after surgery and I have plate and screws. The pain isn't as bad as right after I'm wearing a hard collar which is uncomfortable. I was told I would get a phone call from office tomorrow, that's the problem with oxycodone is it makes me wired, I can't sleep and I get really edgy. They knew that so I guess I'm just confused, maybe it was all a lack of communication. Don't let me worry you, before you go into or they give you a med in your IV that makes you feel like all is fine. Joe
  • Welcome home, Joe! Sorry to hear that they are not working with you to get the pain under control. :-( My surgeon also mentioned that my disc was completely shot right after the surgery, even though the MRI only showed moderate degeneration with next to no mention of the disc itself. The first few nights are the worst and it does get better. Have faith that you will improve! :-)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • sunshinebry2000ssunshinebry2000 Posts: 81
    edited 07/11/2012 - 9:43 PM
    Hi Joe, I know how you feel but the first few days are the worse. I was sent home with Oxy so I think that must be standard but they also gave me diladid pills and flexiril. I had 3 levels so maybe that is why but I still had a hard time controlling my pain and sleeping without a collar. I can only tell you that the pain does start to back off a little after a few days but you need to take it easy and do not stress yourself out because that does make it worse. I think the idea they have is perhaps you will be in less pain after surgery since your doses were high before. Alot of doc's are old school and are leary of giving too many meds that are addicting. Make sure you ask for a muscle relaxer, now flexeril was not really working for me so the MD switch me to soma and I find that to be much better. I am so glad your home Joe and I wish you a speedy recovery it is all down hill from here..and remember no falling down stairs I did research on that for you and I report no good!! your in my thoughts and prayers always. Kim
    Kimberly Martin
  • welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
    edited 07/11/2012 - 11:07 PM
    sorry you are struggling at times Joe, i had to sleep propped up for a week as i couldnt even begin to lie down or the pain was overwhelming. but that first night sleeping flat was wonderful! something to look forward to.

i am on amytriptaline for muscle relaxant and nerve pain, codiene and paracetamol. i only take them at night as i really dont like taking tablets, i cant tolerate tramadol, they make me feel dreadfully ill, i prefer to tolerate pain than take them. i hope they get you on something that really does suit you.

its good to be this side of the surgery though isnt it, i am finding that i have some better days but then i try to make the most of it and do a task i shouldnt.... then spend the next three days in agony! so i suggest when you feel good... just enjoy feeling good and dont overdo it!!

my concentration is only just comeing back. all the reading i was going to do while off work.... not even picked up my kindle!

anyway Joe, many good wishes sent to you and your wife, take it easy and look forward to following your progress. big hugs TinaAnn
  • So glad to see your post, sorry about the pain meds though. When I woke up and was in a private room I was so happy to see a family member. I was not given anything for the pain, and I was suffering with the 3 level fusion surgery. My family member notified the nurse who got a hold of the surgeon and they had to bring in a IV with a button which I had to push to get my pain under control. I was in hospital for 2 days. When I got out I was on norco and valium for pain, and muscle spasms. My surgeon did not have me in a collar so I did my best to keep my neck up, because if I fell a sleep and it was to one side or the other I was in Horrible Pain.

I hope you hear from the nurse soon! Relaxing is the best for you right now, because any stress will back the pain worse.
    Welcome Home and Take Care of Yourself. Have your family Help you as much as possible.

Tall Hugs Joe,

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Wow lots of problems here with pain meds after surgery and was not the prime reason for surgery to relieve your pain and the doctors and hospital failed to relieve your worse symptom. Hope your rehab will see better treatment. I had 3level ACDF last July and after some struggles I feel 100% better. Of course I have lots of limitations but I dont have arm or neck pain and I have much more range of motion so I am very pleased with surgery. I was allowed to remove hard collar to shower if I wore a waterproof bandage and I was off pain meds in several months. Keep after the docs and nurses and if that dont work my hospital has a policy that I can call a patient advocate/ available 24/7 on site at hospital if I have compaint about treatment. Peace out. Feel free to ask any questions. I also have LB stenosis which is choking my calf and achillies and they are 75% atrophied. Surgery to correct is immenient.
  • Joe241JJoe241 Posts: 185
    edited 07/12/2012 - 10:39 AM
    Thanks all, I talked to nurse and apparently there was miscommunication as I was supposed to have robaxin also, I have follow up on July 23 so I have to make a seven day supply of pain meds last 10 days. As far as pain right now it is better and the constant pain in my neck mostly left side is mostly gone and the nerve pain is also mostly gone. I know the first few days are tough and sleeping with collar isn't exactly easy but I know it is for the better, it's kind of strange not having that contant pain, this pain is different and will take it one day at a time. Do not want to be thought of as a drug seeker and understand what drs do, if I can get to the point where I only need pain meds at night I will be happy. See you later and God Bless, Joe
  • susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 07/12/2012 - 2:58 PM
    Sorry to hear about the mix up with your medication. Not exactly the right time for that to happen. It is strange at first to not have the pain you are used to. Yes, now it is a different pain. I know what you mean and I am sure there are many more here that understand your new "different" pain. Main thing is to try and keep relaxed as much as you can. I wish that my surgeon would of had a collar for me after surgery, because if I would doze off I would always wake up in Major Pain do to the fact that my head would be to one side or another, and not feeling to secure. My surgeon said I had great bones and No need for a collar. I remember telling him that when I fell asleep from my pain meds I would wake up in Pain. I made sure I had my U shaped pillow by my side so I had some type of support. We learn as we go.

Keep Positive thoughts, Joe. You will be feeling better with each new day. Some days are rough, and some days are going to be easy. I remember right after surgery I would focus on deep breathing exercises.

Keep us posted!!!

Rest easy my friend.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 07/13/2012 - 10:46 AM
    It doesn't help your recovery when you are in pain, it can actually hinder healing as you tend to tense up in response to the pain. I can't remember the strong meds that I had for the laminectomy but it worked really well and then I had tylenol 4 after the surgery pain subsided.
    Call your surgeons office and see if they will refill the script before your appointment if you need it. You shouldn't have to ration the meds as you will simply be chasing the pain and never get full relief. When I had my partial knee replaced the would only give me a 7 day script of percs at a time and when I would call to get a refill they would try and switch it to something that wouldn't require picking up the script and I would send a family member to get it to make sure I had the pain relief I needed. I was happy to come down on the meds when the pain subsided but your body is mad at the world right now, they had a drill on your vertebrae and messing around next to your spine.
    Hope you can get some rest. Take care.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched