Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facing third neck surgery! Help?

Help. I'm facing my third neck surgery and I am very worried. No one seems to do well after three neck surgeries. I had a posterior discectomy for a ruptured C5-6 disk with right-sided pain. Then, I had an anterior cervical fusion for a ruptured C6-7 with left sided pain. Now the pain is starting in again on the left side?
Who are the best surgeons in Florida for this?
Who is known for total cervical spine reconstruction?
Has anyone else been through this?
Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• WonderboytwiceWWonderboytwice Posts: 149
    edited 07/16/2012 - 3:38 AM
    Hello Webber. I have had 3 cervical spine operations here in UK. ACDF 2/3/4 in September 2010 and 2 Posterior operations to 5/6/7 in December 2011 together with plates to facet joints. I also had PLIF plus rebuild in December 2008. The pain in my neck is constant and never seems to get any better but I see my Spinal Surgeon on 27 July when I am going to ask for pain relief by injection if possible. I did have very bad pain in my right shoulder but extensive physio and massage of area has helped enormously. I find that my neck pain gets worse if I am working on computer so I wear a sports collar which helps a little. Hope this is of some help to you and good luck with your third surgery.
  • this is the main reason I dont really want to start the cycle surgeries, because if you dont just do the whole thing the first time, you have to repeat it over and over again, this is a constant where ever I surf, just saying, I know it is to stop the worsening of the damage, if the surgeon knows this he may as well fix them all,,,,,,,
    hamrs_62
  • Hi Webbers,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others including myself whom have had multiple surgeries. As far as whom is the best doctor in Florida you need to do some research, look at the Universities. Be sure the doctor has completed spinal training, but also not limited to, has done multiple procedures. Don't be afraid to ask them credentials. Also if you go to your local hospital and ask the nurses on the ortho or nuero floor, they can give you lots of information. People will spend more time researching a toaster that they do the surgeon operating on them. So do your homework and don't be afraid to get multiple opinions. But the nurses will have some of the best information. Ask them if it were them who would they let operate on them.

AS far as having multiple surgeries one thing you need to consider, is the scar tissue is mounding, will that effect you, who knows. Keep in mind because one disc needed surgery, you can also try conservative treatments to deal with the other issues. Surgery should be used as a last resort. But if surgery is your own option, you could be lucky and the fact it is the third time around, may not effect, but resolve your issues. More is not always better, as with each level your loosing ROM(range of motion). Sometimes when myelopathy is involved surgery is the only choice and is done to stop the progression, but not reverse the symptoms.

Anyway just thought i would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Do your homework and I think you will be fine. There are multiple post of others whom have had more than one surgery.
  • Hi Webber, I would like to know why did you have to go for those repeated neck surgeries. Did you get to know the reasons that lead to the surgeries in the first place. I think for any patient these are quite important to keep any further possibilities of a surgery. Although I do not know about your case but I have noticed that in most of the cases improper posture is the biggest reason for pain issues.
  • It is hard to get any inside information but I have done my best. So now, even after I had a posterior discectomy for a ruptured C5-6 disk with right-sided pain years ago, and then, had an anterior cervical fusion for a ruptured C6-7 with left sided pain. I have a new radiculopathy on the left. I also have new myopathy. I also have neuropathy worse than before, and autonomic dysfunction. Laying down improves my symptoms for now. This appears to be a grim situation to me. The MRI does not show a blatant herniation so I will probably be dealing with this for some time before it leads to surgery. Thanks all.
  • hamrs_62 said:
    this is the main reason I dont really want to start the cycle surgeries, because if you dont just do the whole thing the first time, you have to repeat it over and over again, this is a constant where ever I surf, just saying, I know it is to stop the worsening of the damage, if the surgeon knows this he may as well fix them all,,,,,,,
    I have in the past, also felt that if several levels are not right, why not fix them all while the surgeon is in there.
    Now I have had it explained to me.
    My neurosurgeon is talking about fusing 2 levels in my neck. He said that he may need to do further surgery from the back afterwards, but we would see how much relief I get from the ACDF. I asked about the rest of my neck, that to my untrained eyes looks a mess. He said that yes, there were problems with the rest of my neck, and I may need further surgery in the future, but for the moment he would just fuse the 2 levels that have cord compression. He explained that there is a higher chance of good fusion and a positive outcome if he only fuses 2 levels.

That convinced me that his idea is best.
advertisement