Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this for real? Am I dreaming?

Do you ever ask yourself one or both of these questions? You'd think after 4+ years of pain, dealing with spine surgeons and PAs (on a first name basis), MRIs, x-rays, injections and medication, and having two surgeries, one cervical and one lumbar, that I wouldn't be asking myself if this is really happening.

I really wonder if any of you are like me and have an occassional moment when suddenly what's happening to you slaps you very hard in the face. You go through the day in pain, taking medications, but mostly living and then you realize how serious the trouble you're in is - like you just found out yesterday. (I guess we all did find out yesterday at some point along the way lol.)

I'm just shocked that this can still happen after all I've been through, am going through and will go through in the future. Is there any point where it just doesn't shock you any more, even every now and then?

• YES and NO! It's a good thing I can't count.lol Every new surgery I need to have, or proceedure that needs to be done still slaps me in the face HARD. I just can't believe that this can be happening again. I think we all know that after the first one we are way more likely to need more done, but my brain always says that's someone else we're talking about, not me.

But, I'm going to find a way to get through this, and I'm sure so will you. You are a strong soul and so am I. I may cry like a baby even though I'm a 53 year old strapping strong man, but somewhere the answer is there and we'll find it. It may take awhile but we will find the answer, or possibly it will find us. That's my hope, that someone will find the cure for this chronic pain we live in and we will again get to live life as it should be.
  • It's nice to know it's not just me, and some good thoughts to boot...talk soon.
  • Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
    edited 07/15/2012 - 5:48 PM
    Thanks again. What a postitive message and so full of upbeat thoughts and inspiration. Just what I needed...thank you so much, my friend.

We'll all get through this, no matter how hard it is to deal with - tomorrow is another day with new hopes and wishes. Ahhh, if I can just implement it...working on it...
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    After 7 surgeries , every time I have a new test and follow up with the dr I have the biggest fear of hearing " You need surgery".
    Every test brings the fear of here we go again. The new pain doc that I have begun seeing has ordered MRIs of the entire spine along with cat scans and a emg.. Needless to say Im scared to death of what the results of these test will be. Cath both you and I have tried to live a normal life, still working but yet something always seems to happen. we need to just keep doing what we have doing all along. Dealing with things the best we can and praying for the best.

• Having had my lumbar fusion, which was a big surprise because initially there was NO WAY I was going to have spinal surgery. I felt I would rather die!! Amazing how fear can make you feel.

Now, I can hardly believe that I am facing it again. It seems unreal.
    Then I think of others who are far worse off than me. I am still working, I can still walk. I have so much to be grateful for. I am not sure what the future will hold for me, but in the meantime I intend to make the most of what I can do now. I even hope that my 2 level ACDF may put me in a better place where I'll be able to be more active, at least for a little while.

I was only saying to hubby at the weekend, once I am recovered we should do the things we'd like to do, while I am able in case I start to get worse again. (My surgeon has warned that due to all the degeneration in my neck, I may need further surgeries in the future and I also have thoracic problems.)

Cathie, I hope that you will reach a point where you can really enjoy your life without needing more treatment.
    How are you feeling today?

• I'm always happy when just my words can help, even a little bit. I know you have been going through a rough time lately, and so have I. That's why we keep coming back here to SH where we know there is a kind word of incouragement.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    edited 07/16/2012 - 2:55 PM
    And that's why I don't post much any more. I just don't have anything positive to say any more. And I can't say anything shocks me. Although at the word surgery, I freak out! dose that count?
    I do try and take it one day at a time.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Yes, it sucks. Cant stop thinking about the pain its always there in the back of my mind.
  • piggy44ppiggy44 Posts: 7
    edited 08/23/2012 - 11:41 AM
    Yes.........I know all to well what you deal with. I was a competitive runner and cyclist, tri-athlete/ bi-athlete for many years. My world began to come apart in 2004 with my first neck "Surgeries", I say that in multipals. Numerous surgeries in 2004 left me in a Halo Brace..........which I would never wish on my worst enemy........waking up on a ventilator with your hands straped down............is no way to wake up. I managed to fight my way back......back then.........

In November 2010 I needed more neck surgery. The problem in the neck got fixed......but arm and hand use didn't.

I took all the medications.............from Lyrica to Cymbalta.............none helped the pain / numbness in my hands.

Yes..............I've often wondered.........am I the only one out here feeling like this.

We're not like the average person who knows or has any idea what it feels like.

I see a therapist just about every week to two weeks. It gives me an out..............where I can get as angry and or sad as I want..............

I'm only 44 yrs old. I should have a lot of life left to live. Sometimes, it doesn't seem like it anymore.