Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Life after implant? Scs implant and exercise?

This may seem like a funny question but is there a website that specializes in exercise programs for people with scs implants? What things can we do in terms of exercise 4 or 5 months post implant procedure? I look forward to returning to some type of life that includes exercise. Anybody have any advice on the subject???

• After 8 weeks, I was given the ok to do whatever I felt like doing. It took a while to build my stamina back up but one year later, I launched into a new exercise regime that I never thought I would be able to do at my age and with my "so called" limitations. I'm two months into it now and am stronger than I have been in years and realize that I have not had any additional spine related pain, just the normal muscle pain that comes along with working your body hard! I don't know of a website, but perhaps some other here might have more information. The only thing my PM doctor and Neurosurgeon warned me of was 1) extreme stretching (so you don't pull your leads or in my case, the paddle lead), 2) No roller coasters (this is because of my fusion, not the SCS), 3) Don't stand on your head and 4) Don't skydive. Other than that, they said do what you feel comfortable doing. I am taking it slow but I am lifting weights and really working on strengthening my upper back and arm muscles as well as the rest of me. I figure if I was going to have pain anyway, I might as well be active and do something to make myself feel better overall. I will say that I do turn off my SCS when I do my gym session every day because I found that it really intensified the stimulation when I was jumping rope and doing other impact exercises.
  • I've been told I can do whatever I want. I've played golf and ridden several roller coasters. I don't do the 3d rides for obvious reasons.
  • Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I had hoped that I could get back to gardening (lots of stretching, etc) and lifting stuff heavier that 10 lbs. and just being me. You guys have given me encouragement. And yes, I am a fusion person so I understand. Ok..............I need to be "good" for 2 months. I can do that! Man, I can't wait to get back to my old self. Working on stained glass, gardening, playing with grandchildren for goodness sake. What about lifting????? Any limitations? Working out with light weights?? I am so excited from your response I can hardly contain myself. Now I just have to readjust my attitude and get ready to get myself back in shape!
  • backbback Posts: 190
    edited 07/27/2012 - 1:32 AM
    Literally, I have no restrictions. The only thing my doctor has told me to do is not to be stupid. I helped spread mulch around the yard this past spring. My daughter had to help me lift the bags, but that was because they're heavy. I do the weeding in my flower beds in the front of the house. I think your going to be very pleased once everything is healed Kathy.

• One of the things I miss the most is working out in my yard among my flowers! If you can spread mulch, then I am in heaven!!!!! I also love to do stained glass. Just love it. My panels can be heavy though. The biggest thing is just being fit enough to take care of my husband if/when he needs me. He has just recently been diagnosed with prostrate cancer, as I've said, and we run a business together. When I'm out - he covers. When he's out, it's up to me. Your reply gives me so very, very much encouragement. I just love you for taking the time to reply. Thanks. Kathy
    back said:
    Literally, I have no restrictions. The only thing my doctor has told me to do is not to be stupid. I helped spread mulch around the yard this past spring. My daughter had to help me lift the bags, but that was because they're heavy. I do the weeding in my flower beds in the front of the house. I think your going to be very pleased once everything is healed Kathy.

• My Dr's and the Psychologist have told me the same Don't be stupid! In fact my Psychologist said. They make stool softeners for people with bowel problems but they don't make head softeners. My question is Pain is God's way of warning us that what we are doing OR HAVE DONE is hurting us. Pain then is basically a built in warning system. If things I am doing before the implant is causing me pain. WILL IT NOT DO PERMANENT DAMAGE if I continue to do it after the implant? The implant is only going to fix the pain problem. Not the cause of the pain. OR What is causing the pain. I don't want to keep do things the things that hurt me now and do or cause permanent spinal Cord damage.
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 09/04/2012 - 12:27 PM
    You are a hoot!!! You really sound like your doing well. Im so happy for you. So, when you get back from your trip.....if you still have my email, could you send a picture of when your properly connected and charging, if physically possible? Sounds confusing. Your TRAVELING!!!!!! That would exceed my expectations for this device. Enjoy!
  • It's wonderful to hear how well you are doing. There was only one thing my PM warned me not to do after my SCS implant and that was not to play golf. And that was because of the way you have to twist your body and swing your arms when you hit the ball. I also love to garden and there was no restrictions in that area.
    Best of luck to you gal.
    Patsy W
  • I am almost 4 months post op SCS implant and they have me doin physical therapy to build up the strength in my arm and shoulder area. I am still not allowed to exercise my neck area as I had severe compression in the area of the lead implant. As far as exercise my rep told me the best thing to start with is just walking. Hope this helps some. If I was u I would ask my doc point blank doc what kind of exercises would u recommend to help me build myself back up?
  • I am five months in with my scs implant and doing good. I am back exercising. Just wondering if it is ok to bend over and touch your toes. Would there be any chance of pulling out leads?
  • You can touch your toes? I can't even touch my knees. They do put a loop in the leads to avoid things like that. I would contact my surgeon or PM to see what they think. They are more aware of how everything is implanted.

• I have asked. They said just do what i was comfortable with. Just a general answere. I don't think they know.......lol
  • TerriPTTerriP Posts: 303
    edited 02/25/2013 - 8:05 AM
    You sound great! How is your hubby doing?