Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

newbie here!! need help!

hello everyone,

Just thought I would start off by saying I think this forum is great!!! loads of usefull information!! and really great people!!

Well here go's my story,

I am 30 yrs old and have had chronic low back pain for about 9 months now, im a stay a home dad, I havent worked for about 3 yrs . I believe I first injured it about 3 yrs ago working as a produce dept. manager. when it first happened I felt a rubberband like snap in my low back area close to my spine and couldnt work, I was in really bad pain and layed in bed for 3 days.. at that time I went to the doctor and and they gave me vocodin and flexeral they said I may have just pulled some muscles and they sent me on my very way. I ended up working there for about 6 more months then quit cause the job was never the same with my back pain. I still felt low back pain the whole time. and never felt the same after that injury..as time gos on ... about 9 months ago I was helping a friend work on a roof tearing off and replacing shingles and thats when all hell broke loose..I really hurt my back bad that day. I felt really bad tearing and burning sensations, I worked though the pain and we got the job done... that night is when all the pain set in..and I have been on a roller coaster to hell ever since.... so now im back on pain meds(vicodin 2-3 a day)and muscle relaxants and a ton of aleve(4 per day). I started out with PT and had about 4 vistis with no results, did learn some good core exercises thou, went back to my pcp and he ordered an MRI and he told me I just had some mild arthirtis in my back and with some mild stenosis nothing to worriesome and to try accuputure, chrio, weight loss, excerising ect. and so I tryed everything went to my chriopractor and got a whole other response from him, he said OMG did you get into a bad car accident? so I asked for a copy of my MRI to read it myself...heres what it said..

findings: mild loss of the lumbar lordosis L3-L4 theres a shallow central to left paracentral inferior disk exrusion with anular tear and diffuse disk bulge contributing to lateral recess narrowing and mild degree of central stenosis. there is mild foraminal narrowing.

L4-L5 there is a central to left paracentral shallow disc protrusion with anular tear contribtes mild stenosis foraminal narrowing

L5-S1 shallow broad-based disk protrusion with anular tear contributes to mild foraminal narrowing, no significant stenonsis remaining levels.

impression: degenerative disk changes, L3-L4 through L5-S1 contributing to mild degree of stenosis

call me crazy but I think this reads a hell of alot more than just some mild arthrits.
so I got a new pcp and the new one refered me to NS and that will be july 31. so I am just playing the waiting game, to find out the next step is in this very looooong process.

I dont really have much numbness or tingling in my legs, I just feel very sore and stiff in the morning and at night with some shooting pain up and down my back and I know I cant do any heavy lifting, and I cant really do anything repetitive around the house because then it really flares up. so it will be interesting to find out what happens next.

thanks for listening hope its not to long this is my first time ever posting anything.
any help or suggestion would be very helpful

• uncleuuncle Posts: 9
    edited 07/19/2012 - 5:52 AM
    4 MRI's before they finally agreed after looking at how black and squished the disc between L4-L5 before I agreed to surgery. I've been suffering for 5 years with sciatica and have found that even after the surgery, the sciatica is still there 2 months later. See the neuro guy on Monday and will have to repress my urge to throttle him. Heat therapy helps me tremendously along with some beer. Also, lidocaine found in sunburn gel helps. Zero gravity chairs and lying on my side in bed.....although none of the above can be done at work. I'm muddeling through the best I can. Good luck to you!!
    Brenda Hull
  • I started with mild stenosis which caused bad pain and stiffness in my lower back. My doctor recommended physical therapy ( bad idea, read my story post) and this resulted in severe stenosis with extreme pain shooting from my hip to my ankle which made my original back pain seem like baby stuff. I couldn't even walk. Once you have that annular tear, you must be super careful to not aggravate the situation. I wish you the best of luck and hope the appointment with the neurosurgeon goes well!