Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I go through with microdiscectomy?

Hello all. I am trying to decide if I should go through with my scheduled microdiscectomy on July 27. Background: I am a 27 yr old male. I injured my back lifting weights in January. At first I had incredible pain and some spasms. Over a few weeks the pain in my back went away but i began having sciatica. Now I am perfectly fine when I sit but have trouble standing or walking very far. I get some combination of pain and tingling from my left buttock to my foot. If I try to push myself too far, the situation gets inflamed and I have a good deal of pain for several days until things cool down and its back to my normal discomfort. I should say that unless I have aggravated it with too much walking the pain goes away when I sit. Some nights I have some trouble falling asleep because I have some pain when I lay down, but I can usually fall asleep before too long. I had x rays and an MRI done which lead to the neurosurgeon recommending the microdiscectomy. I can post my MRI results later but they basically said I had a herniated disk with annular tear around L5. My main concern is that I am in general not in too much pain. Yes my lifestyle is restricted and sometimes I can get quite frustrated at myself when trying to cut grass or change light fixtures in my new house, but it is manageable. I am worried that the surgery could leave me with more pain than I am in now. I have heard that after this surgery people often have pain when sitting. What if the surgery does not successfully relieve my pain and then I am left with pain when I stand OR sit? Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

• Personally if the MRI sows the tear its down to how big the fissure is and how much disk has pushed out. IF your in the early stages and in limited pain 1-5/10 then I would get to the gym/physio and work on the core and back muscles. People recovery and a microdiscectomy is the LAST RESORT. As you said the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I wish you all the best
  • PaulPPaul Posts: 730
    edited 07/19/2012 - 1:08 PM
    On the other hand, a person (me for example) can get nice results from a surgery. Basic daily activities caused me too much pain. I couldn't have a basic minimal quality of life. I got the surgery and am so glad I did it.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008