Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Yay for the RFA

Well, I had my RFA series on the SI joints a few weeks ago. The RFA for the Lumbar was back in February. This has left me *mostly* pain free. I just have some mild pain from a disc that's bulging, but it's totally tolerable most of the time if I do my PT exercises and use the proper posture. So, off the pain meds I went! That part never gets easier, I wean off over several days and have some other prescriptions to lessen the withdrawals, but it still takes a lot out of me.

Knowing my history with the RFA procedures, the lumbar should start kicking back in almost exactly 9 months from the RFA, which puts it in just about 2+ months. I'll take it :) (does that reset my "chronic pain" timer? LOL)

• So happy you are mostly pain free!

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is an RFA series? I don't understand most of the acronyms people use on here.
  • I am so hoping to follow in your footsteps! I had an SI injection and facet injection Wednesday, and I am not hurting at all (compared to prior) despite my other spine problems. I am hoping that means I would benefit from an RFA someday if need be. I know what you mean about going off the meds being familiarly yucky, but I still think that investing that strength now is a great idea. Besides the obvious physical and mental health benefits, you're also assuring that the meds will work better for you someday if you need them again. Fingers crossed that this good course continues for you.
  • BlueSkiesBBlueSkies Posts: 59
    edited 08/06/2012 - 5:00 AM
    For me there wasn't confusion. My pain is very localized...right lower back, right SI joint, right hip, and parts of the right leg I can point to. It was there one day, and then I got the injections of the facet joints on the right at 2 levels and the SI joint and then after that it seemed gone. I was still taking the tramadol ER, but nothing for breakthrough pain. There could be confusion because I was still taking the tramadol, I guess.

That being said, we moved a few days ago, and though I tried to mind my family's admonitions to stop the lifting and moving, I just had to do a lot of stuff myself to get it done the way I wanted, and now I am in horrible pain. At first it was my entire low back, but now it has settled into my right buttock and right leg to the point where I am actually not able to get up off the couch for more than a minute. I am so frustrated and weepy and disappointed. I have this pretty new house I put so much effort into designing, and I am completely unable to unpack all the pretty things I bought for it. I almost went to the ER over the weekend, something I have only done once (and it actually turned out to be 3 kidney stones that was causing pain). So mad at myself.
  • SugarplumsSSugarplums Posts: 77
    edited 08/12/2012 - 7:35 PM
    I've "over-done it" soooo many times because I wanted to do things myself so it was done right, or because I was tired of feeling like a burden on everyone, etc. and then paid for it with severe backlash pain and ER trips and pain for weeks and weeks.

We know we shouldn't do this, but yet we do anyway!! Are we nuts? I don't think so. I think we are just optimistic, strong, and determined to one day be able to do what we want without pain. :)
This discussion has been closed.