Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie with post surgery issues

Hello everyone! I feel so much better when I talk to others with the same problems.

My story:
I am a 46 yr old female that is in good shape and very active (or used to be). I have had mild lo back pain for a few yrs now but just thought it was muscle pain from working out. One morning in May I went golfing and on my first drive off the tee I felt and heard a crack in my lo back. Within two weeks I was in bad pain and went to see my doctor. She said I could not get an MRI until I went through at least 3 weeks of physical therapy (policy of the HMO) but she prescribed Oxycodone for me. I trusted her and went in the next day. The PT evaluated me and then gave me exercises to do 5 times a day. Within one day, the pain left my back and shifted to my leg. I had extreme pain, numbness and tingling shooting from my hip to my ankle. I couldn't walk or sleep or sit without extreme pain. I went back to my doc and basically pleaded with her, actually breaking down in tears, to get an MRI. She agreed to submit a request which she said could be denied so not to get my hopes up. I got angry at this point and accused them of getting me hooked on pain meds. To make a long story short, after a month of extreme pain (that no amount of Oxy or Vicodin could help) I got the MRI which showed severe compression on the nerve with annular tears in two disks. I was able to get an appt with the top neuro in the area due to some connections I had ( otherwise would have had to wait over a month!) and was recommended for the microdiscectomy immediately. I was too scared to have back surgery, a huge mistake of mine, and chose to go with an epidural shot first, hoping that would take care of it. It didn't and the side effects of the steroids were awful and at the same time I decided to get off the pain meds so I was dealing with HORRIBLE pain med withdrawals. I finally had the surgery last week and I woke up with immediate relief and have felt great for this week but all of a sudden yesterday I started getting tingling and numbness back in my leg. I'm so scared that it's coming back! Is this possible???

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others whom have chosen to get a micro and the surgery failed them as well. The difference is the failure happened over some time, not instantly. Especially if you were only doing walking, and no BLT(bending lifting twisting), then it could be that the medications they used during surgery in the incision sight have worn off. This is not uncommon to see members have immediate relief to have some set backs as the medications wear off.

I do suggest you call your surgeon and make them aware of what is going on. Now if the pain is not to bad, you might want to wait and see if calms down some. When nerves are compressed, sometimes it takes a little time for them to heal up. Keep in mind back surgery is major surgery, and your body needs time to heal from it. The only exercise you should be doing is walking.

On the medication forefront, if you don't want to be on opiods there are other solutions. For one a good muscle relaxer is almost a must, along with that comes nerve medications such as lyrics, neuron tin, or cymbalta. They can help to calm the nerves down, to see if anything major is still going on.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any assistance in the future don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.