Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet rhizotomy...did I do the right thing??

Hi! After 9 months of pain mgmt,. it was determined (after nerve blocks) that I need the rhizotomy procedure (4 levels, both sides). I called to schedule yesterday and they said my insurance company only allows one level at a time, a week apart. So I called insurance co. and they said if Dr. submits note saying he can do all 4 levels at once and it is better to do it that way, they will approve it. So I called PM place today and told them that, and she said THEIR billing dept said Dr. only does one level at a time. But the clinical dept. told me that they normally do all levels at once except for those who have my insurance! I know from reading posts here that many get more than one level at a time. I really hate the idea of going 4 weeks in a row, getting jabbed in the hand for IV, etc 4 different times...this seems crazy! I feel like I am having to fight to get this accomplished and really didn't need this stress. I work plus take care of my elderly parents....I need to get this done in one visit. Have I been unreasonable?
Hoping to be pain-free soon!

• I had 4 levels done right side first, recovered the appropriate amount of time (I think 6 weeks?) and then did the left. I have not heard of them doing right and left at the same time and I think that would be pretty painful to tell you the truth as far as recovery. Are you sure they aren't referring to "sides" rather than "levels"? Because ai think it is pretty typical to get all levels done on one side while under anesthesia or twilight.

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • I had the first "session" last Tuesday on the right side, am having left side lowest level done this Tuesday, and told them I may or may not be back for the upper ones. They did 8 separate "shots" for the diagnostic nerve block- 4 right, 4 left. And try as I might to get it all done at once, they said even though the insurance co. SAID they would pay for it to all be done in one visit (even 2 would have been ok!), they tried that once before and didn't get paid.
    Anyhow, it seems to have been a success so far (although I've read that the nerves take a while to start dieing so may be in more pain soon!)
    Thanks for responding
This discussion has been closed.